Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: backyardmetalcasting smelter kit missing

backyardmetalcasting smelter kit missing

Hey,

I was interested in buying one of the kits from the website, but the link appears to be dead. Are they not being sold anymore?

Specifically, an organization im working with wants the smelter to be purchased rather than designed and built by me despite a successful track record.

Are referring to the kit Lionel Oliver offers in backyardmetalcasting? I bought one three years ago.

Administrator Site Admin
    If you want a smelter, you are looking in the wrong place. Lionel only sells metal melting furnace kits. Smelters are a different technology used to separate metals from ores.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Yes, that kit. Apologies, i do mean the metal melting furnace, i was not aware of the differences in meaning between smelter and it.

Just so you know, the fact that the words smelting and melting (or any variation thereof) often get used interchangeably is a bit of a pet peeve of some of the members here.

Duly noted.

Does anyone know about Oliver's kit?

Why does it have to be puchase? No businesses make furnaces for sale. The best you'd get is one back yard caster making a furnace for another back yard caster. Not much difference making it yourself?

Ive already made several myself which work perfectly fine. However, the group im working with needs one, and id rather they spend money than i spend time, especially given there is a budget for equipment. However i do not believe there is a sufficient budget for a professional one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNumenorean View Post
    Does anyone know about Oliver's kit?
    Yes, I bought one three years back. I guess Lionel Oliver is hard to reach nowadays, I don't know if he is still making them. The kit included a formed sheet metal shell, a frame with aluminum wheels, a burner unit, and hardware for the lid and pivot arms. I had to purchase refractory separately and cast the shell, lid, and plinths. I could take measurements and a few pictures so a welder could fab one up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNumenorean View Post
    Ive already made several myself which work perfectly fine. However, the group im working with needs one, and id rather they spend money than i spend time, especially given there is a budget for equipment. However i do not believe there is a sufficient budget for a professional one.
    Hi there,

His website is back online. I think it was just down for a couple of days. I bought one from him earlier this year and I am using it now.

Regards,

Arthur