Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Grievances

Re. noisy dogs - I use an ultrasonic dog repeller that has an inbuilt microphone. I park the unit on the house border, as close to the dogs as possible. When it hears a loud noise (bark), it lets out a blast of noise above human hearing range, at ~20kHz. Neighbour's dog was too loud so I set it up. It was rather funny after a bit, hearing the dog give half a bark, followed by a sort-of yelp, as the blast reminded the dog that barking was not a good idea. I believe it is effective particularly for dogs whose ears stand up and don't flop down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Re. noisy dogs - I use an ultrasonic dog repeller that has an inbuilt microphone. I park the unit on the house border, as close to the dogs as possible. When it hears a loud noise (bark), it lets out a blast of noise above human hearing range, at ~20kHz. Neighbour's dog was too loud so I set it up. It was rather funny after a bit, hearing the dog give half a bark, followed by a sort-of yelp, as the blast reminded the dog that barking was not a good idea. I believe it is effective particularly for dogs whose ears stand up and don't flop down.
    Awesome idea. Got one ordered from fleabay. Our neighbor has a pair of dogs who regularly have howling competitions at 3am.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleM View Post
    Point is, dont own an animal if you cant care for it correctly!

Kyle
    Okay, this started out as someone complaining about their neighbors dog, I offered a solution that works for me! The reason it works for me is, first of all is what KyleM pointed out, and second of all, cat shit in my shed can very easily constitute a designation of vermin, plus these things are basically wild and are fending for themselves by hunting rodents and eating the song birds I enjoy feeding during the winter. If you don't have the stomach to destroy vermin that is causing you grief, so be it. BTW none of these cats were more than 20 feet from the poison when they died. Within seconds of the time they felt sick, they were dead. I never have advocated "hot dogs and fish hooks"!!!!!!!!!
    What is that squeaking noise?

no worries steve... I do want to know which of these sonic anti-barking device is the one to get? I'll buy one of those in a heartbeat. We have a problem with crazy cat ladies feeding the feral cats in my town and it is getting outta control. THOSE are definitely vermin. These suckers will come up and steal our cats food then mark on my front door, back door and garage door! Nothing worse than the smell of cat piss. Those bastards I trap and take for a nice long car ride. It's pretty easy to tell the difference between a feral cat and one that is a pet. I give them a few chances to approach me and then out comes the trap and I deport those suckers. I should shoot them, but I don't. Last one I had in the trap was spinning around in the cage like the exorcist.. Hissing, spitting, shitting and pissing EVERYWHERE! I wrapped that trap in a tarp and.... well, I had to buy a new trap after that one. That's all I'm going to say about that. ;-)

We have an outside cat and an inside only dog, so poison isn't an option for me. :-(
    My cat has an insulated and heated home complete with a porch, windows and a loft inside. It really is the cats ass.
    Meet Toby. He was a stray that adopted us a few years ago. I'm not a cat fan, but this one comes when you call it and is friendly and enjoys just sleeping around where I work. He can stay as long as he doesn't beat up on my wuss of a dog. lol
    Toby.jpg
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    https://www.youtube.com/user/jagboy69
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Straying off topic here...

My ultrasonic dog repeller came as a kit that I put together. It was called a "Woofer-stopper MkII" from a defunct Electronics magazine called Silicon Chip. It runs from a 12V DC plug pack, and I use a single piezo-electric tweeter loudspeaker. I think there are a number of different units around, with different effectiveness. I have a .pdf of the circuit of mine, if anyone is interested.

EDIT: pdf is 26MB, so too large for here. (17.5MB for .docx file)
    EDIT 2: I have uploaded the pdf file HERE.

I think you guys are suffering from a lack of coyotes. We're crawling with them. They were introduced in this region in large numbers to control the omnivores that eat turkey and pheasant eggs. Coon, possum, etc. the varmints overpopulated when pelt values dropped to next-to-nothing and trapping became a pastime for folks who just like to eat. If you shoot an animal and leave it lay it'll be gone in the morning. And they loves'em some cats. Unfortunately they'll eat your dog too, so they're hunted as vermin too. There's a legend around here that the Conservation dept released some big cats to kill off the coyotes but their sightings are like Bigfoot stories.

Pete

Re: feral animals: What really grinds my gears, other than endlessly barking dogs, are the people who drop domestic animals off in the country because they no longer wish to care for them. I owned a home in a rural area in East Texas for seven years and I can't tell you have many cats I had to put down and how many dogs I had to drive off because they wondered up. Look...just because you moved and can no longer take care of your dog doesn't mean "country folks" want it, no matter how sweet/loving/useful/etc that it is. All you're doing to your pooch is guaranteeing it a slow, agonizing death from starvation (or worse) because the "country folks" you're hoping will take it in already several dogs and don't want yours! Seriously, if you find you can no longer care for your dog and you just can't surrender it to the local shelter, it would probably be best if you'd just shoot it yourself and get it over with. It's a lot more humane way for the poor dog to go than dying an agonizingly slow death alone in the forest missing you.

Feral cats are another matter. I really like our cat; he's my buddy. But feral cats are an ecological disaster on four legs. They do their utmost to wipe out the local small critter and song bird population and I won't abide that. So, to keep the under control, I had a large two door Havahart trap and a .22 rifle. Several cats "went for a ride" but most of them did not survive it. I just had to get them away from the house because my wife wouldn't allow me to thin the population within earshot of her. I don't have anything cats in general mind you; but I fed our bulldog outside and she adopted cats who would multiply and attract/breed more cats. I don't like it when cats scratch up the leather seat and spray my motorcycle. Corbin seats aren't cheap and their urine stinks.

My neighbors' dogs crapping in my yard was another matter. However, as I was definitely out in the country, half a magazine through my AR and some very loud profanity usually found my neighbors' dogs tied up and out my yard. Many of you don't think about how quiet it is 13 miles from town and how loud a rifle is around midnight. Suffice it to say, they heard me and understood my intentions should their dogs ever come back.

Oh, and Pete, we had coyotes too. They just weren't brave enough to get close to the house.
    "Success is 99% determination"

Blog Entries
    Jason,
    we too live out in the country. Had to chase a local dog away last night, sniffing around the food for the barn cats. same dog received some bird shoot for chasing and barking at a steer last summer, before that we took it back to its owners once. dang, most of us manage our animals, wish these folks did. I look at our barn cats differently than the wife's indoor cats, they are livestock and have a job to do, but they are tame and we will not let them go feral.
    kent
    Kent
    There is beauty, power and excitement in simple old technology!

I picked up a Taurus Judge some years ago. Great for close range/trap kills. Fires .410 shotgun as well as .45 long colt. .410 shot looses its umph pretty quick but is effective up close. The .45 is big and slow enough to kill a close critter straight away.
    We had a local farmer post a sign by the road that said "I kill cats" in order to dissuade folks from dropping off unwanted animals. I dont know if he actually killed them or even if the sign worked or not. It was certainly a good idea though.

Pete

OMG... OVER 8 hrs today straight of 3 dogs barking! Cops are enroute now.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    https://www.youtube.com/user/jagboy69
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --