Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Switching freom charcoal to propan

Thankfully I dont have to go into the big box stores very often. The small hardware store (about 5min away) is way more convenient, everything is way cheaper (almost half the price. Im a wood worker and buy lots of screws. They are probably about 60% cheaper). Also, they know me there and it's a friendly environment. They know the products (even though half the time they dont because it's not common here. Tried to find some C-clamps for my campershell. took me awhile). Also, the manager was so interested that there was an American around that for a couple years he gave me a 20% discount on everything (until he got promoted to the bigger store in the city). and at times they would invite me to the back room for shots of homemade vodka. Anyways, there is something to be said about smaller local shops. Also, most of the big box stores here are from another country (France, Germany, Spain, and England usually). The Poles are usually very particular about buying "Made in Poland" vs. "Made in somewhere else". I think this has contributed to the fact that Poland has had one of the largest growing economies in the EU. Havent checked lately, but I know back in about 2009 it was the only EU country to post positive on it's GNP. And, if anybody cares, one fact I personally find reassuring is their stance against refugees. So, enough of my ramblings. Point is, I may not be able to get everything I want easily, but life here is not so bad.

Thankfully I dont have to go into the big box stores very often. The small hardware store (about 5min away) is way more convenient, everything is way cheaper (almost half the price. Im a wood worker and buy lots of screws. They are probably about 60% cheaper). Also, they know me there and it's a friendly environment. They know the products (even though half the time they dont because it's not common here. Tried to find some C-clamps for my campershell. took me awhile). Also, the manager was so interested that there was an American around that for a couple years he gave me a 20% discount on everything (until he got promoted to the bigger store in the city). and at times they would invite me to the back room for shots of homemade vodka. Anyways, there is something to be said about smaller local shops. Also, most of the big box stores here are from another country (France, Germany, Spain, and England usually). The Poles are usually very particular about buying "Made in Poland" vs. "Made in somewhere else". I think this has contributed to the fact that Poland has had one of the largest growing economies in the EU. Havent checked lately, but I know back in about 2009 it was the only EU country to post positive on it's GNP. And, if anybody cares, one fact I personally reassuring is their stance against refugees. So, enough of my ramblings. Point is, I may not be able to get everything I want easily, but life here is not so bad.

Administrator Site Admin
    Big box stores are for home handymen. Go to industrial supply places. Every city has at least one.

Kyle, If you make a Reil burner, a 3/4 inch iron pipe will make a hell of a lot of heat. I use a .043 orifice in a 3/4 inch burner.

For a flare, you probably won't need one when the burner is in the furnace with the crucible in there. Try it without one first. If it keeps blowing itself out, then you probably need one. Every burner acts a bit differently.

What ever took you from California to Poland? Sounds too cold there for me. California was too cold for me. If it's below 80 F. I'm cold.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Given my choice of Poland or California?????? I'd take Poland in a heartbeat. Some of the nicest people on earth! Back in the 1980's when you saw made in poland on something, you left it alone. Today it's a different story. Decent stuff! I like to visit Cali, but I would never make it living in the land of FRUITS AND NUTS! The pacific ocean is too cold to swim in, screw that. I like my saltwater at 86 degrees thank you very much!
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

While we are off topic I got persuaded (she was pretty) to spend 15 minutes signing up for a 'trade card' at one of our big diy stores (B&Q) The net result was a saving of £0.30 on £250 worth of materials, wow.

Yesterday a friend of mine was shopping for toys and bought a plastic toy range, a passer buy said 'ah, for your grandaughter' he replied 'No for the wife, it's electric and everything', she departed towards security quickly.....

On topic, my next build will probably be propane having mostly used charcoal in the past so watching with interest.

One of my favorite old sayings from when I was coming of age was that "the old man in the hardware store can be your best friend". That was back when hardware stores were mostly mom and pops. Of course when you know absolutely nothing, any information is valuable. My hometown hardware store was fabulous. Creaky wooden floor, sold anything from string and grass seed to washing machines and .22 rifles at one time or another. Every one was usually nice and always helpful. I used to buy my kite there every spring for $.35. You know, the paper one with Batman on it with torn up bedsheets for a tail. There seemed to be everything but old guys playing checkers, but I'm sure that happened at one time or another. Mr Smith taught me about paint, minor plumbing, glazing, etc. As a young man anything I came in to buy, he would always make sure I left knowing how to use it. And, if I only needed something simple, I could go get it off the shelf and just hold it up as I walked by the counter on my way out the door. He'd bill me. Often, if it wasn't on the shelf he knew where it was down in the catacombs and he'd bring it up wiping the dust off of it. Those were the days.
    It was tough to see him get old and sick and it broke my heart to see him struggle when the computer came in and competition from the big boxes ate them up.And after 15 years Smith Hardware still sits vacant in the middle of my little town.
    So yeah, what we've gained in convenience and inventory we've lost in service. That's the way the machine works. I can't blame these guys for not knowing anything any more than I can blame the parts changer who works in the muffler shop who can't bend a pipe.
    Sorry, reminiscing a little.

Pete

We still have a couple of mom n pop hardware stores here in my small community about half hour out of town.

When I could not find a brass fitting at Home Depot to connect my new Home Depot faucet to our tub after 6 trips here and 6 "expert" opinions (the threads just weren't right), I tried the local shop...

Within literally 3 minutes the 70 year old cashier lady had asked me, "did you try the braided hose?"

Solution found, but weekend lost.

One day I'll melt those 6 fittings.

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

First of all, sorry for the double post. Dont know what happened. It was very late and I had one (by one I mean many) too many beers. Must of fell asleep and hit the back button and posted again (really not sure because the time difference was quite large. Anyways,
    Kyle, If you make a Reil burner, a 3/4 inch iron pipe will make a hell of a lot of heat. I use a .043 orifice in a 3/4 inch burner.
    Thanks much for the info, that make making this much more plausible for what I have to work with. Also, when I moved here I had already left Cali many years before and had been living in Detroit. I love cold weather and am miserable when its hot. As to the "Why?", the wife is Polish.
    @Petee716
    It reminds me of the local feed/hardware store where I grew up. We could get everything and anything from there. Eventually they also added appliances. It was quite a few years later when I came back to my hometown to find that my old forest stomping grounds had been turned into a Lowes that I realized how bad the corporate stores were for local business. I worked at the local lumber mill for awhile in the planing dept. that shipped off train cars full of shelving boards to Home Depot, but at least they provided local jobs. But reading your story reminded me of a story worth sharing of my own. I remember when my older brother and I were playing at the local feed store with the cattle prods and shocking each other. Then, one day while there with my mom and buying some bales of alfalfa, I decided to take the prod and give her a nice surprise on her behind. When I saw her eyes open wide (almost cartoon like) with the WTF expression and the shock of the man running the place, did I realize that the prod my brother and I had been playing with must have been defective or with low batteries. Needless to say, my moms hand was not defective and my ass was sore for a long ass time.
    I could go get it off the shelf and just hold it up as I walked by the counter on my way out the door. He'd bill me
    Same here, it was back in the day where locals knew each other and trusted each other. I cant count the number of times my parents would actually leave IOU's at the store. Or we traded firewood for dentistry work. The world has changed for sure. I worry for my son and the changes with computers (especially less local interaction) how it will have a direct impact on future society.

anyways, enough of my BS. Sorry I tend to talk (type) too much. Im normally the most quiet guy in the world, but drinking too much and not having people to talk to in English here tends to have me release elsewhere.

Cheers!
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by KyleM View Post
    Needless to say, my moms hand was not defective and my ass was sore for a long ass time.
    Hilarious! story! I got my ass beat many times as a kid for doing stupid stuff. Looking back, I got off easy most of the time.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --