Thread: plasma cutter advice

Blog Entries

plasma cutter advice

I want to buy a plasma cutter, I am considering a Lotos lt5000d. any advise?
    Thanks Kent
    Kent
    There is beauty, power and excitement in simple old technology!

I had a Hypertherm powermax 30, bought it because it had the cheapest consumables at that time. I had good luck with it until one day it wouldn't turn on. (deeper that a bad on/off switch) I have heard horror stories of the cost of fixing them, so it sits on a shelf. Miss it!
    Cost and availability of consumables are big factors in the purchase decision IMO.
    What is that squeaking noise?

My friend bought a Lotos. He only tells me good things about it. He works maintenance at the same place I work at and I trust the guys opinion. I almost bought one but ended up getting a 3 phase Esab Powercut 1125 instead because it was only$200. I wish I would’ve bought it instead in some respects since it would run on 240 volts. Anyway the guys been using it quite a bit restoring an old Camaro and doing fabrication projects. Consumables are reasonably priced and they last a bit according to him. I forgot what he paid but he bought it when it was on sale and it was really cheap for as happy as he is. I still might buy one on his recommendation so I can use it at home and keep the other for my shop.

I love Miller products but as an aside, its important to have a good compressor system with DRY air. Are you already set up?
    Robert
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Blog Entries
    Thanks Guys, for $299. I think it would be a nice tool to have. I do have a large compressor, but I only have a separator for a drier. I think that most of the condensate comes out in the tank (80 gal.)

Thanks again.
    Kent
    Kent
    There is beauty, power and excitement in simple old technology!

Try it with your current air setup. You may find that in humid weather the cutter malfunctions. You can always add a dryer if you need one.
    Robert
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer