Thread: New Furnace for Iron

New Furnace for Iron

So I started this furnace build a few years ago and got put on the back burner while working on other things. Well I'm determined to finish it here in the next moth or two. The main furnace has be built. The only thing left to do is make the top and cast a small crucible base. I used United Refractories 69C castable rated to 3050F, its what the guy recommended to me. I used four 50lbs bags for the main body, which is all I bought at the time not knowing exactly how much I was going to need. I used a 31 gallon steel trash can for the shell. This last weekend I was able to stop back at the place, Refractory and Insulation in Eldridge, IA, (very helpful staff) and get a couple more bags which was replaced by 68C with a 3100F rating now. I also got me a 25' roll of ceramic insulation for another smaller furnace build. This will be a waste oil fired furnace which I'm planning on building a new burner for. I'll post that once I start that build.

The furnace has a 12" inside diameter and is just over 21" depth. I will be buying a larger crucible for this one as well. I cast in place the tube to hold the burner in place, its a 304 SS 2-3/4" slash cut exhaust tip I got at Autozone for like $12.

IMG_1138.jpg New bag of castable.

IMG_0131.jpg Bottom is cast into place.

IMG_0136.jpg Exhaust tip to inner tube.

IMG_1145.jpg I put a coating of 3000F rated mortar on the top to smooth out the refractory which is surprisingly course. I set a smaller tube inside the exhaust tip to give an idea of where it is.

IMG_1144.jpg Depth.

Quote Originally Posted by cojo98v6 View Post
    ...........This last weekend I was able to stop back at the place, Refractory and Insulation in Eldridge, IA, (very helpful staff) and get a couple more bags which was replaced by 68C with a 3100F rating now. I also got me a 25' roll of ceramic insulation for another smaller furnace build. This will be a waste oil fired furnace which I'm planning on building a new burner for. I'll post that once I start that build.
    That's where I get all my refractory material. Chad and the staff there are good folks and they do some real interesting stuff...like those big iron ladles made from dry vibe refractry. Shorter drive for me than you though.....like single digit miles on the way to/from work

I got a role of 1" ceramic wool & 1/4" thick ceramic paper, boxes of IFB, mortar, and castable refractory. one-stop shopping and reasonable prices.

Good luck with the build and keep posting.

Best,
    Kelly
    My furnace build ----- I toil and fettle then foam turns to metal!

The refractory I used in my oil furnace had similar markings on the bag, "Uni-Cast 70" - must be similar stuff. I love it, seems pretty much bulletproof. Although I have never taken a run at cast iron...

Good luck! Build looks great so far,

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Quote Originally Posted by kcoffield View Post
    That's where I get all my refractory material. Chad and the staff there are good folks and they do some real interesting stuff...like those big iron ladles made from dry vibe refractory. Shorter drive for me than you though.....like single digit miles on the way to/from work

I got a role of 1" ceramic wool & 1/4" thick ceramic paper, boxes of IFB, mortar, and castable refractory. one-stop shopping and reasonable prices.

Good luck with the build and keep posting.

Best,
    Kelly
    I believe I talked to Ben, was very helpful. The first time I called them they treated me like larger customer than I was, hard to find that kind of service these days. It's probably good that I'm not that close as I'd be spending a lot more money. :lol: However, I'm glad they are as close as they are so I can get good materials. They had some cool things in there, I was tempted to tell the guy to load the whole pallet of refractory into my truck instead of the two bags I got.

Thanks Tobho Mott. This stuff does look like good tough stuff.

So I've been giving the lid some thought and came up with this, if anyone has any input or additional comments to add feel free to do so. At this point I'm not sure if I want a lift and turn top or flip top, still deciding.

Furnace Lid.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cojo98v6; 10-11-2017 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Add Larger Print

If this is an iron furnace I would definitely keep that lid pointing down and just have it lift and rotate. Make sure it only rotates away from any fuel source or burner or controls of any kind. That thing will be so hot and radiate so much heat to anything in close proximity, you don't want it pointing at anything you value....especially yourself!

Best,
    Kelly

From yourself or from your fuel line(s)!

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Another suggestion to just rotate the lid. This will of course necessitate some minor vertical lift prior to the rotation.

There's a few examples on the forum. Some more complicated then others. I'd go simple like a hinge on a pin. I think Myfordboy's build uses such a concept.

I performed the lift with a foot peddle, which allows for extremely easy (single finger) pivoting. It's also keyed on the vertical so once it's off center the lid cannot fall back down. However, I built my furnace with a cart/lid mech in mind so there wasn't any time wasted on ghetto rigging anything.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Thanks everyone for the advice, I was leaning towards lift and rotate and those were valid points to push me that way.
    I do keep my fuel source fairly far away, I try to keep things as safe as I can, don't need to become a statistic, lol.
    I actually came across Myfordboy's design used somewhere else and was planning on borrowing the design, its simple and looks like it works great. Thanks for suggestion.
    Here's a quick design I threw together.

Assem1.jpg

Assem - Pin.jpg

Don't underestimate the weight of that lid. Looks like plenty of leverage to lift but may want to rethink the angle iron attachment to the lever.

Best,
    Kelly

That thought was going through my head the whole time I was drawing that up. The tube welded to the top is 1.5" x .125wall and the angle iron is 1.5" legs x .125wall. I was thinking of running them parallel from the pivot across the top to the other side. I'm sure the top will take at least 1 50lbs bag, so it will be heavy. I'll TIG weld all this together, I added the weld beads, but for some reason Solidworks kept removing the visual welds after rebuilding the drawing. The swivel pin is 3/4" and the pivot pin is 1/2", I'll weld a steel bushing inside the tube for it.

I was also thinking of using two pivot points (basically weld two in place of 1) and weld them to a bar with the swivel pin. This may be the way I go. I was trying not to over build this, but in this case its probably better off. I tend to over build things, get that from my grandfather.