Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furnace for Aluminium melting - Burner suggestions

Furnace for Aluminium melting - Burner suggestions

Hello everyone,

I'm new to furnace building. I have gone through 100s of videos and web articles on building a furnace, yet lacking practical knowledge.

I'm planning to build / getting a furnace built by local person here. I'm looking for advice on burners which can be used for a furnace.

I need 2 oil fired furnaces to be built for melting aluminium scrap. The aluminium scrap will majorly be ISRI tense grade.

The first furnace will need to have a crucible capacity of ~200kgs of aluminium scrap. Targeting melting of 1 MT per day with 4-5 melts per day.

The second furnace will be of 50kgs capacity. This will be user to re-melt the aluminium dross and extract the remaining aluminium.

I came across waste oil burners in https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...666947085.html .

I really don't know the real use of this burners as I have not seen these used for furnaces. Can these type of burners be used for furnace to melt aluminium scrap?

Please let me know your suggestions.

Also, these burners have a Output heat of 20,000- 80,000(KCal/h). I'm not sure on the units used. All I know is aluminium melts at 650 - 700 degrees celsius. Will this output heat be sufficient for an aluminium melting furnace.

Sorry if I lack the basics. I'm just getting started with this furnace and stuff.

You seek "YODA" hmm....

Have you estimated the fuel consumption?? Im thinking fuel costs to operate might over come any profits.. maybe masteryoda will chime in on this shortly...
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

I'd like 2minutes with that thing and a camera. People usually buy those and burn waste oil to heat work shops on the cheap.

We around here generally build our own burners to suit the mission. Look up Kwicky and Brute oil burners. That'll get the ball rolling for ya.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    https://www.youtube.com/user/jagboy69
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    You seek "YODA" hmm....

Have you estimated the fuel consumption?? Im thinking fuel costs to operate might over come any profits.. maybe masteryoda will chime in on this shortly...
    Thanks David. I have not estimated on the fuel consumption. I have see a couple of furnaces in my local area which uses waste oil and they are able to run them.They use a different type of crucible. I'm concerned about the efficiency of them. Attached is the image below. Imagine something like this which melts aluminium.

maxresdefault.jpg

Will wait for masteryoda to share his views.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    I'd like 2minutes with that thing and a camera. People usually buy those and burn waste oil to heat work shops on the cheap.

We around here generally build our own burners to suit the mission. Look up Kwicky and Brute oil burners. That'll get the ball rolling for ya.
    Thanks for the suggestion jagaboy69. Now I get the use of the burner linked. I will check on Kwicky and Brute Oil burners.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    You seek "YODA" hmm....

No doubt, unless the payoff is really big. Natural gas seems to be the way to go unless your resources dictate otherwise. Us backyarders can afford to use oil without breaking the bank and spend the time occassionally (or frequently) fiddling with our filtration etc, but I think the bigger boys are using NG in direct melt/reverb type furnaces.
    That's an interesting picture Itzswad posted. Is the aluminum for your own casting purposes, or ingots for resale?

Welcome to the forum!

Pete

Natural gas is not available in my area so should go with other alternatives.

75% of scrap which I melt will be used for my own purpose. Initially planning to resell the remaining 25% and gradually increase based on the requirement.

Thanks!

Administrator Site Admin
    They use a different type of crucible.
    There are only two types of crucibles you are concerned with: clay/graphite or silicon carbide. Those are foundry crucibles. Everything else is for specialty work such as assay or lab work.

I'm concerned about the efficiency of them
    With waste oil the efficiency is irrelevant. Waste oil is free.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can waitI want to go to McMaster-Carr.

from reading through this, I would check out olfoundryman on youtube, his setup sounds exactly like what your trying to achieve. Same size of everything and would be doing the same practices also.

A guy would need some substantial supporting equipment to pour 200kgs from a crucible. Some giant thing like that guy Crazy had a couple years ago. Sheesh. For the kind of volume Itzswad is talking about a larger version of my reverb or Yodas tilting furnace seems like the way to go, oil or whatever. Even with somewhat larger capacities than mine (35kg or so), once that thing is hot you could melt quite a bit in a day. It would depend on the size of the pours though. From the looks of that boiler shown above those neighboring furnaces he mentioned are probably dipping ladles for smaller pours. Just a guess though.
    I can't see the link for the burner anymore, just some ad to download alibabas app, but when I saw it before it looked like it would probably do it. The heat output he stated certainly seems like it would be enough.

Pete

yeah I don't think a kwicky is going to work in this case. unless you want to fire that thing with about 10 of them going at once. I run the kwicky to melt bronze so it gets plenty hot. But 200kilos is a lot of metal.

what ever happened to crazy? he had one of those giant tilting furnaces that I don't recall him ever firing it up... Find him and buy it. You'll save a ton of money and time. Fueled by NG me thinks.....
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    https://www.youtube.com/user/jagboy69
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --