Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Gingery Metal Lathe

Ah, ok. I had read that surface bubbles can be caused by gas escaping from the alloy. Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by Alex Webster; 11-23-2017 at 05:56 PM.

I've been in the process of building a CNC inspired ( without the steppers and arduino ) to machine some patterns and to
    also machine some of the castings.

CNC2.jpg

It still has a ways to go to be complete. This morning I tested it and used it to face the top of the saddle.

testcut3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Webster View Post
    I've been in the process of building a CNC inspired ( without the steppers and arduino ) to machine some patterns and to

Certainly a useful rig even without CNC. Based upon how/where you have the guide rails positioned I presume you intend to use it as a hand guided pantograph with the pattern positioned on the right side? Over time I've collected all the pieces to do the same.....just never put it together cuz I get most of the way there with the overarm router I built but my recent lost foam work has rekindled my interest in it and cnc version of same.

Best,
    Kelly

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Webster View Post

Certainly a useful rig even without CNC. Based upon how/where you have the guide rails positioned I presume you intend to use it as a hand guided pantograph with the pattern positioned on the right side? Over time I've collected all the pieces to do the same.....just never put it together cuz I get most of the way there with the overarm router I built but my recent lost foam work has rekindled my interest in it and cnc version of same. A thin vacuum plenum with pegboard holes can be an excellent addition for holding sheet stock.

Best,
    Kelly
    My furnace build ----- I toil and fettle then foam turns to metal!

Really makes quick work of milling the part. Doing it by hand the first time I made this carriage saddle took me weeks.
    My original thinking for the above machine was to use it for making patterns. I will be extending the rail to 1 meter.
    The original design was to be 50 cm. I'll use the short rails for my drill jig until I can get the lathe finished then I'll build
    the Gingery drill press.

carriage_saddle.jpg

carriage_saddle_under.jpg

backontrack.jpg

With the carriage saddle and cross slide recast and machined I'm back on track.

I love having made this router workstation and will continue with it until it is a proper CNC.
    It is contributing a lot to the lathe project as some things I'm sure I don;t have the experience
    to do without it. I had serious trouble getting the bases and bed leveled and solid doing it by hand.
    Here I used the router to machine the surfaces to level and equal. The bases are a mess form paint
    I was trying to use to level them before.

Here is a base the way they were left last spring.

base.jpg

I bolted both of them side by side on a piece of mdf, which I slid under the router to level the tops as a
    starting point. Then flipped them over and faced the bottoms.

mach_bases.jpg

base_bottom.jpg

Next I flipped them over again and milled the shoulders where the bed sits on them.
    I also milled the bottom of the bed. They sit even and solid on a piece of plate glass.

base_top.jpg

bed_5.jpg

I'll definitely be doing the bed and the bases again. Just that before I do them I want
    to be able to use the CNC to make the patterns out of single pieces of pine. The mdf I
    used for these would start to deform after a few uses.

A while back I made a drill jig out of a few pieces of angle iron and the linear guides that are on the
    router workstation (I'll refer to it as a router workstation until it becomes a proper CNC).

drilljigf.jpg

My work area is outside next to the house I live in. I have a lack of proper tools such as a proper drill press.
    This has been working really well and is not affected by weather. I used this to drill the pieces I could lay flat.

gib_screws_saddle.jpg

I had to drill the holes for the gib screws free hand, unfortunately they are too tall for the drill jig. I was happy and they
    turned out well. The holes are drilled 4 mm and tapped to m5 which is 5 mm, there is less than 6 mm of material to drill
    the holes into. If I were out by 0.5 mm either way I would have had to scrap this piece and start over.

gib_holes_straight.jpg

I was so relieved when I checked the inside and they are straight.

Squaring the cross slide ways.

squaring_cross_slide_ways.jpg

In the process of doing this I've been trying to correct mistakes I made the first time.
    The cross slide ways was turned around and re drilled rather than try to use the already drilled holes.
    New holes would be straighter as they are drilled with the jig. I still made a few minor mistakes.

There is a defect in the left runner of the cross slide and a casting defect where I put the sprue well
    too close to the part. I'm filing the middle to make room for the screws that sit up too high.

filing_cross_slide.jpg

I apologize for the condition of my shop area. When I clean it up the the wind blows everything around,
    leaves fall off of the tree or it rains. I'm not complaining though. It's a space for me to gain experience and play.
    I love it.

That's a nice fix for not having a proper Drill Press. I've seen similar (those way less solidly built) unit sold by drill companies. Good Work!

CBB

I cast the head stock last night. I always seem to get fall out from the mold.
    Still not finished but cut the sprue and riser off. I had to cut ( hacksaw ) chisel and
    rasp a big chunk in the middle.

headstock.jpg

The underside has a dip on the upper right. It's about 3 mm just eyeballed. I can mill that out.
    And again the fall out. Argghh! I made this to have a 104 mm radius for a 208 mm ( 8 inch )
    swing. I will lose about 4 mm from that but still ok. I had the sprue next to the thickest part
    and a riser on the other end. The dip was next to the sprue. So methinks, was a little under
    temperature. I was running out of propane and it was so close to being right. Also the first time
    I poured in the dark, all the colors sure looked cool. The original design ( D. Gingery ) is a 7 inch
    swing.

headstockunder.jpg
    Last edited by Alex Webster; 12-07-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    Was your sprue thicker than the thickest section? If the sprue froze first then your casting feed the sprue.
    Mark