Thread: premature aluminium hardening

premature aluminium hardening

I've recently been bugged by a problem I've never had before. Pure aluminium suddenly becomes solid whilst in the crucible, and I cant remelt it. This means that I have to throw away huge amounts of aluminium because of this. I've had this problem with two different crucibles, so they aren't the problem. Do I just have to heat it more or is there anotere problem I might have overlooked?

Probably just not enough heat but if you have highly oxidized metal, such as typical with melting cans especially with an oxidizing furnace environment, you may just be experiencing a lot of Al2O3, and that won't melt at your furnace temps.

Best,
    Kelly
    My furnace build ----- I toil and fettle then foam turns to metal!

The only time I've had that problem, it was from the addition of a chunk of zinc.
    What is that squeaking noise?

you may just be experiencing a lot of Al2O3, and that won't melt at your furnace temps.
    Im going to say it is 100% this^^^^^
    Only melt aluminium that from castings ie: car engine heads or gear boxs. Once you have worked things out then try other things.
    If the spelins rong blam the wife!

How to build a Nudge burner (oil)

Nudge! Where ya been?

PS: I agree, having had many sudden freezes with crap alloy when I started, no amount of heat would bring it back.