Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eclipse

Eclipse

Anyone get a good view of the eclipse? I've got about 1 to 2 hrs left for it to arrive in full.

cloudy skies here
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

It is getting darker here but a friend north of here in Lamar CO can see the sun for clouds. We planned to drive to Grand Island NE to see it but canceled our reservations on Friday based on the weather forecast.

My wife is busy building a viewer from tin cans and by the sound of it tin foil.
    EDIT:

She took this image at peek with here iPhone and a welding hood lens.IMG_6483_S.JPG

I drove to Greenville SC to see the total eclipse. Skies were nearly clear. Truly weird and amazing! Totally worth traveling to see it in person. Pictures cannot do it justice.
    Robert
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

About 75% where I was but clear skies and good viewing.
    This graph is kind of interesting, the time scale is in UTC which is EDT + 4hrs, the blue line is temperature, the dip centered at about 1830 UTC (near the cursor), corresponds exacting with the peak coverage. I suppose the timing of the dip could be purely coincidental but that seems unlikely.

Temp08212017.jpg

It was weird here... not a full eclipse - there was a sliver of sun present through the 'plumber's nightmare' camera-obscura I made of abs tube, a blended t, a cap, tape, card and aluminum foil - but at its peak, there was a deathly quiet in that nether-world twilight... like a long midsummer afternoon just before sundown, only at ten am or so.
    Ouch! That stuff's hot!

Living here in the St. Louis area... That is all we have been hearing about... local traffic was and is a mess. Backed up for miles... I have to admit it was very cool to sit in darkness during daytime???

Quote Originally Posted by mhein68 View Post
    Living here in the St. Louis area... That is all we have been hearing about... local traffic was and is a mess. Backed up for miles...
    People are idiots... IT's a FRIGGEN SHADOW! They occur all the time. You just have to travel to see them. I should have been making tin foil hats and stupid 10buck paper glasses months ago to sell. I didn't even waste my time walking outside for it.

Here's an eclipse. 4 passengers, crappy range and just as useless as the real thing.
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

$10 buck glasses hell! Jason, someone had a pair (1) for $100 on facebook this morning!! Then selling them after the fact for "used" during eclipse.

lol, I just kinda ignored it until it got really dark out here, then I went out to see what was going on. I thought it was about to start storming, so went to close windows, lol. I just looked at it briefly to see what all the fuss was about, and just used my auto-darkening welding helmet to look. I honestly wish it had just stormed instead...