Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Putting the shop together

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    2,629
    It might be a good opportunity for a mod. If my nandsaw motor goes I'll refit it with a treadmill motor. Although youd have to modify mounts, youd have a 2hp variable speed motor plug and play. Ive seen examples on youtube. I think Masteryoda has done something similar. I put one on a machine at work and it works great.

    Pete

  2. #22
    So, I scrapped the Craftsman band saw hoping the parts will be useful. The new band saw is installed but I have to make a new circle cutting jig.
    IMG_0888.JPG

    I bought a new 8" 3-jaw chuck for the lathe. I will need to machine down the backing plate. I'm putting off the installation of the pinion gear for later.
    Got some petrobond sand.
    There's a new bench next to the lathe.
    IMG_0932.JPG

    The electrical benches are installed with lighting and power strips.
    IMG_0931.JPG

    Oh, and this has been a real good thing I did in my shop. Lever handles.IMG_0924.JPG

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    2,629
    Quote Originally Posted by AlPuddle View Post

    Oh, and this has been a real good thing I did in my shop. Lever handles.IMG_0924.JPG
    Ok, I'll bite. Why are the levers a real good thing?

    It looks like the shop has really come together. Plenty of electrical outlets too. Once everything has that thin layer of shop dust on it it will be complete.lol

    Pete

  4. #24
    When you're carrying things in and out of the shop, as you always do, you can use your elbows to get the door open instead of having to set down the thing being carried.

    I'm starting fresh with the shop dust. Dad never cleaned out gramp's dust, just added his own. I've cleaned all that dust out so, by next year I should have a fresh layer.

  5. #25
    Updates:

    I finally bolted the drill press to the floor. It took a long while for it to find it's home.
    Got an air manifold installed
    IMG_1072.JPG

    I was about here in making additional air manifolds when...
    IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    Ooops wrong bench
    IMG_1092.JPG
    Right bench.
    The smoke came from somewhere in there.
    This has given me an opportunity to start using the electrical benches for their intended purposes. Life is good.
    IMG_1097.JPG
    Problem has been dissected. I need two $50 contactors.
    And I'm going to redesign the controls for my tendencies.

    Oh, btw, I got a SuperGigaBit travel drive for my pictures. Makes things much simpler.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by AlPuddle View Post
    Updates:

    I finally bolted the drill press to the floor. It took a long while for it to find it's home.
    Got an air manifold installed
    IMG_1072.JPG

    I was about here in making additional air manifolds when...
    IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    Ooops wrong bench
    IMG_1092.JPG
    Right bench.
    The smoke came from somewhere in there.
    This has given me an opportunity to start using the electrical benches for their intended purposes. Life is good.
    IMG_1097.JPG
    Problem has been dissected. I need two $50 contactors.
    And I'm going to redesign the controls for my tendencies.

    Oh, btw, I got a SuperGigaBit travel drive for my pictures. Makes things much simpler.
    Is it the whole contactor which is fried, or only the coil? Coils can be had at maybe 5-10% of the complete contactor price...

  7. #27
    When the power is applied, the motor turns. Pressing the stop button does not stop the motor. I therefore conclude the contacts of the contactor are welded shut.
    Can't really trust my logic presently, I'm I missing something?

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by AlPuddle View Post
    When the power is applied, the motor turns. Pressing the stop button does not stop the motor. I therefore conclude the contacts of the contactor are welded shut.
    Can't really trust my logic presently, I'm I missing something?
    Ok, with the contactor removed from circuit as you show in the picture, the black button on the top should push down and spring back up, does it?

    Effectively the coil when it gets voltage, across A1-A2 does the same thing as pushing that button, so when you release the button either by your finger or removing voltage, it should spring up.

  9. #29
    Share a closeup pic of the ID sticker on one of those contactors as well...

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by negativ3 View Post
    Share a closeup pic of the ID sticker on one of those contactors as well...
    IMG_1099.JPG

    There is no information on the manufacturer. Siemens 3RT1015-1AB01 3-pole contactor is what I ordered as a replacement. IDEC, Telemechinique have similar units.

    With the units removed, there is continuity across most of the poles. The coils are de-energized. There is smoke residue around the manual actuator and one of those actuators is stuck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •