Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welding up small holes in bronze castings

Those pits are easy to fill. Your bronze looks to about 1/8" thick. 130amps on a foot pedal, 3/32" or 1/16" and some filler rod from airgas. I've had good results with their silicon bronze filler wire. Be DAMN sure it doesn't say Zn on that package ANYWHERE!

When you gonna setup a vac pump operation? HF pumps are cheap and get a dome if you have to. Or make a table with a silicone pad. You built a wax pumper, I know you can do this and get better results.

I see your point HT, if it's stupid thick or stupid thin, preheat might be necessary. For us artsy fartsy non structural types, just filling casting booboos is all we are after. Look at that spot welder above, purely cosmetic or for buildup work. No way could it actually attach something to anything at all.
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Here are a couple of pics. The small pits in the larger escutcheon are the only flaws in an otherwise whole casting - this would be a good one to weld and repair. The other pic is the smaller escutcheon and three failures to fill - right next to the vents. This is the kind of crap that drives me to drink. Pour 4 and only 1 comes out clean - 75% scrap is not acceptable (I know...get a perf flask and vacuum).

I'm just venting (heh, heh, get it, get it...)
    I dont have the miller welder with all the bells and whistles im afraid so cant offer any advice on specific settings but what i can say is that these voids are prime candidates for tig on dc and pure argon with no pre heat. I have done so many of these fixes on a cheap dc machine (less than $500 new) that im sure with a decent miller machine it will be a breeze. I would be using the venting 'wires' for filler rod for exact colour match as well. Dont know if this is important for you though.

One other thought, those casts would probably be flawless with a spin cast system if you can pick one up cheap. Good luck with the fix.

John

Where you been hiding john? Got any cool projects in work??
    -- Donald Trump --

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    Those pits are easy to fill. Your bronze looks to about 1/8" thick. 130amps on a foot pedal, 3/32" or 1/16" and some filler rod from airgas. I've had good results with their silicon bronze filler wire. Be DAMN sure it doesn't say Zn on that package ANYWHERE!
    These little plates range from .030 to .050 thick so even less current. I'll probably just use vent material since I'm assured that it's the same base metal.

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    Where you been hiding john? Got any cool projects in work??
    Still popping in from time to time but a bit busy with a half-life size figure to be cast in bronze when its finished. Still at the maquette stage (12 inches tall) at the moment but im probably starting scaling it up early next week. If i get the maquette how i like it i'll probably run an edition of this too.

What about you? I kept popping into your lamp built but the photobucket thing threw a spanner in the works.

Yup. ran outta wax and silicone, but picked some up last week. Today, my father in law, died. He's been fighting cancer that started in the colon for the last 8years.
    (guys, get the ass scope done early and often) The best defense to keep from getting colon cancer!

Hopefully I can get back to my project soon. Running a thread WITH PHOTOS helps push me along. I've been working a little, but no photos. Why bother right? AHEM!
    -- Donald Trump --