Thread: wanted: lost wax/ wax carving / mold making stuff

wanted: lost wax/ wax carving / mold making stuff

hey all,
    I guess I'm to the point of unemployment that I am not above begging! I am 49 currently without a job and getting one around here is looking grim... I am very interested in carving and casting custom drum key and maybe some jewelry (never know!) to pass time and try to relax.. There just isnt funds to cover all... I have made, borrowed most of what I have and could use some help.... if you have any unused tools or anything laying around you can donate to me please keep me in mind... I will pay it forward to someone someday! I maybe could pay for postage.. let me know... Thanks for any generosity!
    Last edited by mhein68; 08-12-2017 at 04:44 PM.

Small crock pots from the local 2nd hand store, salvation army sort of thing, run $1 or $2 each and make great pickling pots. With some ingenuity you might be able to set one up as a wax pump. You should be able to fudge up an alcohol lamp. Most wax sculpting tools are just wire or needles set into the ends of dowels.

Pipe can be used as a cottle. Not galvanized or plastic.

Instructions for buring out without a real oven can be found on the web. Seem to recall a flower pot fired with charcoal.

In 3rd world countries they use gasoline blow pipes (IIRC) of some sort in place of our oxy propane torches. Their work is equal to anyone using a torch. Not suggesting you go that route but you should be able to come up with something. Maybe a small electric melter for heating casting metal.

You can compound your own waxes by mixing paraffin and bee's wax. Maybe other types not sure.

Or start with pewter it can be melted with a burn-z-omatic. I knew a guy that sold his pewter jewelry in stores from LA to Chicago. We are seeing some jewelry or at least chain mail worked in aluminum.

You have options other than begging.

Thank you... I just sometime get frustrated with things... yes I should look around at what I do have to use... Thanks.

Wax went out in today's mail. Look for it on thursday. ;-)

Don't forget plaster of paris. People used that for 2000 years before these high tech expensive silicones. Super cheap and actually works good, just takes some planning and patience.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --