Thread: Muller maybe?

Muller maybe?

...suggestions for turning this into a Muller.
    Lucked onto a s/s tank. Its 1500 H x 800 dia. And 3.5 mm thick. The elbowed, and blank flanged in/outlets are about 140 dia and the rough cut pipe in/outlet is 200 dia. 3 legs set it about 50 mm off the ground. There is an overflow at the top. I think it was some sort of mixing tank. Possibly came out of a sugar mill, (theres a couple around here where I live). There are some sliding gates on the inside over the pipe connections and the larger (200) pipe continues inside and extends upwards. I had planned on just cutting all that excess off and welding patches over the side openings flush and smooth. But closer inspection revealed a couple of small corrosion holes in the bottom, and likely to be more going on the external condition.
    2nd option is flipping it upside down and patching the square hole and the overflow. I currently use Petrobond and do ally and bronze casting.
    Not committed to anything at this stage. Looking for input about build styles. I have read most of the threads here on muller builds and was looking for things to avoid and things worth adding.
    I have a pretty good, high reduction winch gearbox to adapt for the drive system and I think a couple of old flywheels about 300 dia that might make some good mulling wheels. I am leaning towards a stationary drum and rotating innards.
    IMG_0547a.jpg IMG_0548.jpg IMG_0549b.jpg

Cheers Phil
    So, whats your Plan B?

Would be one hell of a burn out kiln...
    FLAME ON...!!!!

800mm would give you a nice diameter. I think your probably right about the bottom being too far gone to be a solid base. You could take a section 350-400mm long ( I'm pretending I can speak metric), maybe including the end with the rectangular hole as a sub base, and weld in a more stable floor over it. I can't see from the picture too well, but it looks like that overflow you mentioned could work as a dump door. It looks like you have all you need to get it going.

Pete

Been a bit slack on this project, (never one to rush something when slow, and due process can take its place), but I did make some executive decisions, and made a bit of progress.
    IMG_0555.jpgIMG_0551.jpg
    I elected to use the "top" of the tank as it was so much less corroded, and fill in all the holes. So a few welding rods and a bunch of grinding discs late I have a nice new floor for my muller
    This was all done a few months back but I have had so much on the go recently that updates are sometimes retarded.
    I pondered for a while on the drive system, with various wild and fanciful ideas considered, filed for future reference, trialed, back burnered, or just plain discarded. Until I lucked upon a bomb destined for the wreckers.
    IMG_0574.jpgIMG_0576.jpg
    I hacked off the parts I didnt need and dumped the rest
    Cleaving the spline out of diff gears seemed a good idea at the time until I discovered they are made from diamonds, (or kryptonite), and so it was numerous cut off blades later that I had a useable piece of material.
    IMG_0577.jpg
    I trialled several different methods trying to get a female spline welded squarely and centrally to a shortened axle stub
    IMG_0578.jpgIMG_0579.jpg
    None of which would give me even the slightest hint of accuracy I was looking for.......Until eventually I bit the bullet and did what I really hated doing and that was setting it up to run true on my lathe and then welding it in situ
    IMG_0581.jpgIMG_0608.jpg
    A bunch of rags smothering everything to catch the sparks and lots of short welds to minimise the piece "walking" I ended up with a "quite close to zero run out" female end welded on.
    IMG_0610.jpg

Cheers Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    So, whats your Plan B?

Bit more progress. Christmas is great! Days off, long weekends, time to ponder, and time to get stuck into projects.
    Apart from raising a piece of land, (to avoid the dreaded "Wet") and pouring a nice slab, I was able to get the muller moving along as well.
    I did some calculations, checked and rechecked measurements, and still chickened out and cut the pieces an inch too long. Test fit it all, confirmed I was 25 mm too long and took off half what I thought I should. Re-assembled for a test fit, Yep still too long, took my final cut, Yay! Spot on for length
    IMG_0615a.jpg
    Male spline nice and concentric, ready to go.

Welded my shortened axle tubes together
    IMG_0611a.jpg IMG_0612a.jpg IMG_0614a.jpg

Ready to be fitted in place
    IMG_0617a.jpg

Cheers Phil
    So, whats your Plan B?

Blog Entries
    Are you going to mull the sand down from rocks? What a beast of a build.
    Mark

Blog Entries
    It looks sturdy
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    http://fournaisedupiton.blogspot.com/