Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fishbonz Folly's

[QUOTE=FishbonzWVa;206554]It's that time of year again.

Yesssssssssss it isssssss!

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/attach...7&d=1446620999
    People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Hey Fishbonz, I just saw your anchors on SV Seeker Live! Congrats.

https://youtu.be/dx7LUM7DBLY @ 14:45

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos | TheHomeFoundry Forums

I just saw it yesterday (been out on a camping trip).
    Those pieces got a lot of "air time". LoL
    I like it that he looked at them from a casters point of view.
    Bones

Had some free time to cast today. Had a call for a couple glove box doors so I dusted off the pattern and cast them. Got the metal a little hot, the vents filled to the top of the cope so I entered those into my pattern logbook. Two minutes 45 seconds post melt for the next ones.

I also made new patterns for the center windshield brackets, I thought they were too wide for the height and lengthened the base. I made a foam follower for moulding both pieces. The face piece has a toe on it and needs to be cast face up so I cut an angle matching divot into the foam to give me a cheek for the toe to rest on when I flip the drag.

Also cast some more bottle openers, those are nice for using the last drops in the crucible.

Forgot to mention, it was below freezing when I started. The PetroBond was acting like dried out greensand, put the heat lamp on it and warmed it up. Cost me 30 minutes but it returned to it's glory.
    I'm thinking about building a heater out of a water tank heating element. Run it on 110v instead of 220v, sandwich it between two aluminum plates.
    Last edited by FishbonzWVa; 11-12-2017 at 01:50 AM.
    Bones

Looks like a good day's work, those all came out great!

I noticed my greensand had stayed nice and sticky in my bench after not being touched for a couple weeks, it was a little surprising but it has been cooler lately. Then it finally went below freezing a couple.days ago... I was out ramming up a mold today when it was still just barely freezing out, and my sand felt pretty dry too, even though I know it still has a good amount of water in it. It took a little extra ramming but I managed to make a good mold, I think... Hoping to get a chance to pour it tomorrow and find out for sure, it's supposed to warm up a little, maybe even melt the light dusting of snow we got the other night.

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos | TheHomeFoundry Forums

I took some photos of the follower in action. This is what I get with the divot.

And the piece up against it.

Today's work.
    Bones

Picked up a Grizzly disc/belt sander off Craigslist, cheap! It's a 9 by 6 and it will replace the 6 by 4. I really needed this, one of my pieces has a 7 inch span and I have to put a matching taper on both legs. I couldn't justify buying new so when I saw this, I had to jump. The bad news is that I don't have the floor space for it so the stand had to come off and it's relegated to a shelf, but still usable there.
    Patience paid off.
    The other bad news, the portable O/A torch set was sold before I got to the seller, I really wanted that too.
    Bones

I was rooting around in my electronics scrap drawer and found a vibrating unit from my old waterbed. I just had to mount it on my lost foam bucket. We'll see how good it works on the next foam pour.

Last edited by FishbonzWVa; 12-06-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    Bones

Cant see the photo Bonz

K
    My furnace build ----- I toil and fettle then foam turns to metal!

That's weird, I could see the photo.
    Reposted the link, is it visible now?
    Bones