Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comments on Furnace Design?

Jeff, your right: hot faces protect insulation. Any place where I'm planning on using the foam/castable is going to be underneath a 3/4" layer of pure castable (hot face), never exposed to direct heat/flame.

I've seen members posting on mixing the foam with the castable with very good success, just never combined with cast iron temps, so I was just looking to see if anyone had experience with that. I guess I'll just have to experiment. After all, experience is supposed to be the best teacher.

I think you will be fine then, I must have missed seeing where guys used foam beads with castable. Let us know how the experiments work out! Good luck,

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Jeff, your right: hot faces protect insulation. Any place where I'm planning on using the foam/castable is going to be underneath a 3/4" layer of pure castable (hot face), never exposed to direct heat/flame.

I've seen members posting on mixing the foam with the castable with very good success, just never combined with cast iron temps, so I was just looking to see if anyone had experience with that. I guess I'll just have to experiment. After all, experience is supposed to be the best teacher.

Yup. That and repetition! LoL.

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

LOL. My computer was playing tricks on me this afternoon, pretending I hadn't posted that already.