Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Stage 2 of the Sickness

Have a cable question here.

I've looked up the tables AND called our local suppliers (which don't have a clue ) <Shaking head>

Wanting to whip up a 25' working cable (ground) and rig up a electrode cable of 25' as well.

I know it all has to due with amps, cycle duty, etc., etc., so for arguments sake let's use a figure of 100% DC at full blast (220 amps).

What size flex cable do I need for a of 50' run?

Have read all kinds of different answers to this on the web, seems more like opinions than facts.

1awg, 1/0........???

Lincoln has a chart but.......... isn't exactly fully detailed.

Looking in the 1990 NEC, table 400-5, type W cable, single conductor, 90C. A #1 conductor is rated at 220A. Since you are less than 100ft. I don't think you need to worry about derating. It's been a long while since I've been down this road.
    Last edited by AlPuddle; 08-08-2017 at 03:59 PM. Reason: corrected terminology

OCD:

I found charts at Baker's Welding, Southwire and Miller's, and they all agreed on the cable ampacity and length. Southwire didn't say how they arrived at their numbers, but I've used them before and trust their cables - and they give the most information about their charts.

Southwire did say that their charts are based on a 60% duty cycle at secondary voltages - not at the 600 volts the cable is rated for. If we assume that duty cycle and amps are directly related, we need to look for a cable handling (220/0.6) amps. - or about 370 amps. Looking at Southwire's chart we could either go with the 350 amp row, #1/0, or the 400 amp row, #2/0. At a total cable length of 100' the #1/0 cable would give you a duty cycle of about 95%.

Now we get into the opinions area again. Since your total cable length is only 50', and the chart doesn't have a 50' column, it is my opinion that with the information we are provided in the chart #1/0 welding cable would be adequate for your needs.

Don
    Too many irons, not enough fire,

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

The charts jump around from what I observed.
    I'm definitely not an electrician or mathematician for sure, stuff gives me a head ache every time I have to crunch numbers......
    unless it's money of course and that's only if I'm on the receiving end.

I went ahead and picked up 50' of 1/0 flex single capacitor cable just to be on the safe side about an hour ago.

Next topic of this discussion,

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Recommendations...

Electrode Holders?

Dinse Connectors?

ChuckE2009 has a YT video rigging up a cable w/ a new Dinse that has 2 set screws which I really like.
    Only problem is, I can't seem to find them anywhere and he doesn't tell who he got them from other than Ebay.

No where to be found there either.

Good lord you don't need a ground-cable that thick. Going based on amps isn't enough, the voltage is important as well. With TIG, the voltage varies (to maintain the current), but worst-case, you're looking at about 30-volts. Multiply that by max current and you have a total energy of 6,600 Watts, so, about 6-hairdryers running at full-tilt and high-heat Most of the cable ratings you're looking at are based on line-voltage which won't do at all. Though you do need thick enough cable to avoid too much voltage drop, at 50' or less, as long as it's beefy enough to carry 6.6kwatts safely, there won't be much drop. I dunno off-hand, but somewhere in the 8 - 6 guage range with nice, thick, heavy-duty, oil-proof insulation should be what you're looking for. In other words...compare energy (volts * amps), not just one or the other.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Awesome welding table... Everything I stumble across might have 1/4" plate top and certainly does have a warp to hell and back.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Although I didn't personally see it I lost out on a 4'x 8' x 5/8" table last week. Guy in Tampa had it listed for $250. Sold the first day.

So, when I seen this one pop up I took off like I had gasoline soaked draws on running through a fire to go check it out.

For the garage, I'm definitely happy with it.

Not as happy as having that AC out there, but happy. lol

Got the Tech on the phone and asked him to Not hang up on me because my machine wasn't Miller, he just laughed.
    He said ideally, 1 AWG is the proper cable.

Local supplier only had 1/0, so 1/0 it is.
    If I ever sell the set up (which I don't see myself doing) that will be a plus.

New rule in the garage.

NO welding steel in there!!!

Went to Home Cheapo, picked up some 3/16" flat bar to make a pair of tongs for the A8 crucible.
    Cleaned the bars and even wiped them and the rod down with acetone.

Couple minutes later I fired up the TIG, got a puddled going & started dabbing with Inweld 3/32" 70S-2 rods.
    Next thing I knew I had fireworks.

Don't worry Kelly, I was on the welding table with not batteries or flammables around.

I may be slightly crazy but not stupid.

OK, I get the Darwin Award.

Had the TIG on AC.

Is that why I ended up with fireworks?