Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Golf Course Tee Box Marker

Very nice, thats a helluva golf course
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

They look great out there. Wish I could see the first poor bastard that shanks one into the woods and decides to try to tee off one of these little pumps. PRICELESS!
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Really nice patterns and castings!

The stakes that went into the ground, what are they made of? I was thinking of how the moisture from the ground mixed with a steel stake + aluminum casting, it would result in a galvanic reaction and cause it to corrode. I was just curious if that issue has come up any?

Banned
    He will be ok.

If the entire stake and the aluminum casting were in the ground, then that would be a complete electrical circuit, and you could have galvanic action.

But since only the stake is in the gorund, there is no return path up through the air to the aluminum, so no problem.

If only the bottom of the casting touched the ground, then you would potentially only get a little corrosion there, but nothing to worry about; it would never be seen if it did happen.

I was thinking of the joint between the stake and the casting, expecially with it being so close to the ground or touching, and the moisture from the morning dew and rain. I was thinking about where the stake screws into the casting, the contact between the two metals there, but with it all powder coated, it should prevent a good amount of it. If not, as paul from paul's garage says, "it's future me's problem".

Thanks for the comment guys, much appreciated.

It's always nice to complete a project. The foundry has probably cast 120 or so and decided to finish a handful, so these are among the first few pieces. The spikes on these are aluminum rod they installed in a short drilled socket and tack welded.

My intent was a replaceable steel spike because they will be bent and damaged. How production units will be spiked hasn't been decided but since both me and the foundry are gifting our time, as far as I'm concerned it can be whatever they prefer. They have the aluminum rod on hand....

With sprinkler, rain, and the elements, there is the opportunity for some galvanic action if a removable steel spike is used. On threaded joints of dissimilar materials like this I have used the same grease that is applied to underground electrical connections and it seems to work well inhibiting any galvanic action.

Best,
    Kelly

yea, the aluminum rod will defenitely solve that issue, lol. Free aluminum rod is even better, lol.

Another thing to try to get 7075 rod, it's pretty strong and hard, somewhat similar to normal mild steel imo for strength. I also think it's fairly cheap the last I checked, then you would have the strength you wanted and avoid any corrosion, and it can be threaded into it like you would with the steel rod.