Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I picked up a MAHO 400E

Blog Entries
    Hi Edgefinder,

Thanks for your input. That is definately my plan. I beilive the Phillips 432 wasa pretty capable control, so I do want to try and get it running as is. At worst case, if a brain transplant would be the only solution, the time spent troubleshooting would really help with integrating into the current scales, motors and Indramat drivers, switch and safety, gearchange system etc.

Right now I have received the advice to pull the Indramat boards, and replace all elektrolytic caps before putting power on.
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Hi David and Edgefinder,

Thanks for the inputs. Edgefinder, I see you are new here. Where are you from and what are you casting? The Maho 700 is a pretty big solid chunk of iron. Nice. Maybe you can post some pictures.

It is certainly my intention to keep it original and get it going with the Phillips (also a 432/10). Yesterday I pulled the CPU board and found it is a 4022-226-3381, which is pretty basic. It has an array of 12 Intel 8088's. I thought those were only used in the 432/9. What CPU module does your 700 have?

Mark

Blog Entries
    I did a bit of cleaning on it, and threw a clock on the spindle. Not bad!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OOTBLRoC6c
    Mark

Hi Mark,

Yeah i'm new here but been reading for a few years in preparation to cast aluminum. I have a Hitachi Seiki VA-40 machining center that I ran for 30 years then bought at auction when the shop closed. The Maho 700c was given to me by a friend who got it free from a shop he helped set up a new machine in its place. Its like yours as it was bought new by Boeing to make simple parts then a plastics company used it. It has less than 2000 hours and looks like new. Its similar size to my VA-40 and as a horizontal will do work that won't fit on the VA. Look up edgefinder on the PM forum and pictures should still be there. I'm in Oklahoma USA. I like to make make upgraded vintage motorbike parts and that's why I want to sand cast.

I'm going to my shop where I don't have internet and i'm not very good with computers but I saw your CPU pics and I'll try to find mine and take pictures for you. I got my machine going with help from Karl the Maho Doctor, a very knowledgable and generous guy you should get in contact with.

Luke

Very nice, good luck with the electrics.

Donk
    Needs must while the devil rides.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys.
    Edgefinder, we look forward to seeing some of your vintage motorbike parts, and your shop. I have a friend here who specializes in restoring unique histororic racing motobikes from the 1920's. Interesting stuff as the owners want to keep things original, so all the dodgy welded up cracks in the frames, and tarmac scars on the casings have to be kept original. When I grew up, my Dad was into restoring classic and vintage bikes.
    Have you read this awesome thread from Jhenise...
    http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...acing-cylinder

I looked up edgefinder on PM, but the search engine return seven posts from a member in 2007, who just asked some strange questions. I found you as Sledgefinder. Unfortunately your MH700C photos are now dead links. Best to load photos directly into forums rather than link them, as those photos hosting companies aways screw us sooner or later.

I am still waiting for the capacitors and the desoldering pump to arrive. I also pulled apart the Phillips PSU module, as that also has 30 year big capacitors in it. I did more reading and am a little disapointed to discover that this really old version of the Phillips 432/10 CPU (based on old 8088 chips) is only capable ot 2.5D, as in only two axis can move simultaneously.

Otherwise I'm continuing cleaning it. This machine has done very little work ever.
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

HMMM, so thats how they put scales on a dragon..........

Im getting closer on my conversion, hopefully only another 6 months and Ill be done <rolls eyes>
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org