Thread: Cartrige Brass

Cartrige Brass

Is cartridge brass a suitable metal for casting?

JT

I have no personal experience melting cartridge brass, but I have read somewhere that the propellant leaves a lot of oxidizing residue in the brass, so you end up with a high percentage of dross.
    What is that squeaking noise?

Ive dealt with a little cartridge brass, but make sure you wash them out and dry them first. I just tossed them all into a 5 gallon bucket with water, then laid them out on a towel on the ground in the sun for a few hours to sort through them. I did that to make sure there was none with live primers or live rounds still in the pile. Also, it helps to go at them with a magnet too, I found one or two that was steel, which you dont want to get those mixed in. I used boric acid as a flux as soon as I started seeing that they were turning red hot, and I didnt have much dross at all really.

Cartridge brass is high zinc. 70% copper 30% zinc, so you have to watch the fumes. HT1 says it will be high sulfur if it's not cleaned. I've used the alloy but not cartridges, I think it casts pretty well and melts at a lower temp than Everdur.

The second casting I did (at mount hood comm. College) involved some (larger) spent shell casings -> lost foam hammer-head.

Don't recall if it fumed or not (nearly thirty years ago).

I am scared green of zinc-smoke (given that stick-welding without 2097 filters causes 'instant sickness' now, unlike times in the past.)

One idea I had was to use electrolysis to reduce the 30% zinc content to a (hopefully) non-fuming level, i.e. plate out the copper, leaving the zinc in solution (using sulfuric acid, like electro-refining copper in industry). Another possibility is to add modest amounts of well-dried cartridges to an already-molten batch of non-fuming cuprous alloy, i.e. diluting the nasty (?) zinc.
    Ouch! That stuff's hot!