Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobucket Puts Screws to Everybody

Quote Originally Posted by Rasper View Post
    Is anyone listening? I keep reiterating that if you reduce your photos to a reasonable size (between 20 and 50 kb) you have plenty of storage space here on AA.

At the max. size of 50 kb you have the space to store 400 photos. Some of our members are uploading large photos and are then complaining about limited space. 50 kb is plenty large for posting on a forum. Any more is just bloat.

Richard
    Again Richard, I'm going to respectfully disagree with your position on this. I think you are off-base on several points.

As I stated in post #54

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...l=1#post203958

I don't think your characterization of 20-50k for a 800x600 color picture is on the mark. If there is something I'm missing that easily compresses the pictures further I'd be interested in that but even so 6-10 photos per post quickly exhausts a tenured member's space. Of anyone, I would think an artist could appreciate the old adage about a picture being worth 1000 words. Instead of admonishing the members that frequent and use the forum for wanting to make its content the best possible, I think the feedback should be taken onboard.

Best,
    Kelly

Rasper's hands are tied.
    He is at the mercy of the beck and whims of the owner.
    Smarter, not harder.

I've went to my profile and anywhere else I can think of. Where does the forum tell us how much we have used of our photo space? I know I've used some of it when PB was down while they set up their extortion program.

Administrator Site Admin
    Again Richard, I'm going to respectfully disagree with your position on this. I think you are off-base on several points.
    OK Kelly. Your point taken. I will climb down off of my high-horse and concede defeat. You and Jag are right. I will write an e-mail message to the owner of the forum and request that he up the limit.

Here is what I wrote to him:

Lionel,

All goes well at the forum.

One thing that does come up with frequency is the 20 megabyte quota on attachments. A number of our more active members have reached this limit. They have been asking for help. For the most part they have not been uploading overly large photographs, or frivolous pictures. They simply post a lot of their work.

Photobucket has decided to stop allowing links of
    stored
    photographs to web sites and forum posts. The other photo storage sites, such as Google, have proven to be changeable and unpredictable as well. They tend to hook people in and then pull the rug out from under them.

Is it possible that the photo storage quota on Alloy Avenue can be raised to 50 megabytes?

Richard

When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
    I've went to my profile and anywhere else I can think of. Where does the forum tell us how much we have used of our photo space? I know I've used some of it when PB was down while they set up their extortion program.
    Jammer,
    It's under Settings, Attachments beside your login banner.
    Bones

A number of people on this site have been offered unlimited storage on other sites, and have chosen to post here instead.

Starting another forum elsewhere is out of the question because nobody will post anything other than here.

This is the site where the backyard casting community migrates.

If you must post your material here, then you have to live with how "here" is.
    Smarter, not harder.

If Lionel reads this, I hope he knows how much we all appreciate this space he's created for all of us to share our experiences and knowledge. Many thanks to him and anyone else who helps keep this place running!

Rasper, I'll still post still pictures, I'm just talking about being a little more selective about them. Looking back, I now realize that I the one time I uploaded a picture of a plastic bag full of the grease I scraped off the inside of a 55 gallon drum... might not have been the wisest use of my upload space here. Those are the pictures I'm talking about not posting anymore. My uploads are mostly around 50k or sometimes less, but it is possible I have some bigger ones from early on that I haven't found yet as I go back and cull the less useful pictures from old posts to make room for new pix, when I think it won't render the old threads useless.

Thanks for reaching out to Lionel. I know it's been brought up before, but it would be nice if there was some way for willing members to volunteer a few bucks to support such upgrades and ongoing site maintenace. Like a paypal link or something.

I see your point about not everyone wants to click on videos (although I must say, your video of how you light your Hot Shot burner has been extremely helpful to me, I re-watch it pretty regularly and I've based my entire furnace startup routine around it). All I can say is, I'm not going to be posting videos here just to get views or anything like that. My hope is only to improve the quality of my posts here.

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Administrator Site Admin
    I must say, your video of how you light your Hot Shot burner has been extremely helpful to me,
    That is my only video. I made it out of desperation. Mine. So many people here were having trouble lighting drip style burners. They were even threatening to switch to nozzle burners. (God forbid!) I had to do something.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Siphon nozzles RULE !
    Long live siphon nozzles !

(Sorry, I could not resist. All in jest you know. I will try a drip-style one day, and who knows, I may never use anything else after that.)
    Smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by cjcaster View Post
    Siphon nozzles RULE !
    Long live siphon nozzles !

(Sorry, I could not resist. All in jest you know. I will try a drip-style one day, and who knows, I may never use anything else after that.)
    Cheers to that. I've built my oil supply and storage around my nozzle burner. It works and it works well. I've gotten it dialed in to the point where it's not an adventure every time I use it. But- I have (hold on tight you die-hards) put together a drip burner which I'll be trying soon. Just for grins and the experience of doing it. And as you've said, maybe I'll go that way permenantly. There are certainly some clear advantages. It's as can be said about a perfect 10: someone somewhere is probably tired of their crap!
    As to the discussion at hand, all I can add is that it's refreshing to be among gentlemen.

Pete