Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobucket Puts Screws to Everybody

I went on PB facebook page and the outrage is rampant. It appears when they are done with this upgrade ?? no photos will be hosted unless you pay $399.99 per year. Can you say RANSOM WARE? Some poor people had set up whole websites with images for over 10 years and now all the pictures are gone. I wonder what the limit is for third party hosting, probably 1 picture, since I've only used 20% of my free storage.

A hack says to just right click the broken image block and open in a new window and the picture will show up on PB page with all ads and crap. I tried it, it didn't work. The photo was still blocked and I still had to see all their ads. I think it was a trick to get you to open their site. I tried it on some other pictures and it works, but still has all the ads. They still make money.

I'm officially furious!!
    Last edited by Jammer; 07-13-2017 at 04:27 PM.

My response has been to decide I'll post more video and fewer stills from now on. So far it's been fun, my subs doubled overnight! (Thanks you two )

And I have found another advantage - sometimes you may see yourself doing something dumb, repeatedly, during editing. I know I won't be constantly dusting my molds with parting then immediately blowing it all back off again before it can do any good anymore, for instance...

It sucks that old threads all over the net are now ruined, but hopefully people kept copies of their pix and could go back and fix most of those if it meant enough to them. I did. If anyone is curious enough about any of my broken posts to ask, I'll be happy to try and restore them somehow as time permits. I've already deleted some of my least useful old uploads, so I do have some free space for pix to be hosted here again.

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Tobho Mott View Post
    My response has been to decide I'll post more video and fewer stills from now on. So far it's been fun, my subs doubled overnight! (Thanks you two )
    Wait! Count me in, where's the subscribe button...okay, you have 5 people now

Just think of video like you're showing 30 nice regular pictures every second

(or 29.97 if you want to get technical about it)
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Administrator Site Admin
    I'll post more video and fewer stills from now on.
    You will lose me. I absolutely detest videos. You can't selectively view what you want to see. You have to watch the whole damned thing and listen to stuff you would never willingly endure. When I see a video on here I just ignore it. Always.

It's the same with links to other sites. I never follow them. if it's not worth the effort for a poster to write out what he has to say, I don't want to hear it anyway.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

I have seen more than a few threads ruined due to the photo links going bad; this has gone on for years.

It should not be a surprise to anyone that cloud-based photos are iffy, especially "free" ones.

And even "good" photo storage sites can get sold, etc. and go from good to bad.

What is the solution? I don't know.
    If the forum does not want to host many photos, then it will always be prone to the bad link thing for many of its threads.

If you see something you like on a forum, you may want to capture it while you can while it is available.
    Smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobho Mott View Post
    My response has been to decide I'll post more video and fewer stills from now on.
    Im all for more videos, lol. The videos also help see stuff that you normally wouldnt see, little goofups and such, and you can learn from it and improve.

rasper has a point, but I look at his stuff and the stuff from people like Bob S I believe, but they produce some very beautiful work, and pictures of the finished object is good, but seeing the process of how it was done and what steps differ from other people's stuff, giving different results, I find that way more valuable than a picture just showing what the finished item looks like and a little text trying to explain it.

As for PB kicking the hornets nest, I honestly kinda got used to it long before this all started. Half of the threads that I looked at before would show that thumbnail of the kitten "picture not found" logo spammed all over it. The stuff that I found that was the most helpful was stuff on people's blogs because they tend to go more into depth of what they are doing, and usually just posted the stuff on the blog's site storage anyhow. Most of the threads that I read through on forums is mainly all text, just answering questions, or was stuff people were trying to sell. If you are really wanting to get the pics, I usually just post the link into google image search and it'll bring up the old pics anyhow since google image just had them all in the cache. I usually just use the forum's built in storage for my photos, my pics arent really that big and I dont really post that many, so the built in storage is good enough for me.
    Last edited by cae2100; 07-14-2017 at 01:20 AM.

Administrator Site Admin
    If the forum does not want to host many photos
    Is anyone listening? I keep reiterating that if you reduce your photos to a reasonable size (between 20 and 50 kb) you have plenty of storage space here on AA.

At the max. size of 50 kb you have the space to store 400 photos. Some of our members are uploading large photos and are then complaining about limited space. 50 kb is plenty large for posting on a forum. Any more is just bloat.

Richard

Videos can get long and tedious, but you can always jump ahead and move through the video to find an area you are more interested in.

And while photos are good, there is nothing quite like seeing how something operates in a video.

A good example is Rasper's burner demonstration.
    http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...ste-oil-burner
    It is difficult to get a good feel for burner operation by looking at photos.
    Half of operating a burner is the sound and the visual smoke or lack thereof, and of course there is the adrenaline rush from listening to the roar of a well tuned burner.

Casting metal is somewhat of an adrenaline sport, in my opinion (edit: especially the iron pours, and if you are into the iron-pour thing, the videos can be quite impressive, especially the spills and such).
    Last edited by cjcaster; 07-14-2017 at 02:55 AM.
    Smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasper View Post
    Is anyone listening? I keep reiterating that if you reduce your photos to a reasonable size (between 20 and 50 kb) you have plenty of storage space here on AA.

At the max. size of 50 kb you have the space to store 400 photos. Some of our members are uploading large photos and are then complaining about limited space. 50 kb is plenty large for posting on a forum. Any more is just bloat.

Richard
    IS THE OWNER OF THIS SITE LISTENING????????? 20megs is a JOKE! Maybe back in the days of dialup this was acceptable. But lets hear from whoever around here pays the bills. I am only advocating making this site safe, permanent, better and easier for it's users. Hell, I'm even willing to chip in or help out where I can. Some of you might be retired and on a fixed income and I can appreciate that. Others of us can afford to help out when possible. I dumped wounded warriors after their lavish parties so I've freed up a little "donation" money to help a good cause. AA happens to be a place I am happy to call home. I am willing to continue to be an active member that produces quality threads or is my time better spent.............???????

Where is this guy hiding????? Why is this such an issue?? PB screwed us so it's up to us to stand on our own and preserve what everyone has worked so hard for.
    FWIW, I have 476 photos on here, I'm outta space. Which thread would you like me to destroy like PB did???
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Administrator Site Admin
    Here is the forum situation (as far as I can tell).

This forum is owned by a man named Lionel. He is the only person who can increase the photo storage capacity. He rarely logs on here under his administrator user account. He may have an ordinary member account that he uses to observe things, but I have no evidence of that except that the few times I have presented him with a difficult question we have had about a problem member, he tells me he trusts the moderators to handle it properly.
    I know nothing about him except what I read on his web site. He is a very private person. I send him an e-mail when something goes wrong here. He rarely replies to my message, but he does fix the problems.

This place has always been something of an enigma to me, as it was to our previous administrator, Anon. The owner shows little interest in the forum, yet he pays all the bills and fixes the problems that arise. He even completely upgrades the V-Bulletin software when necessary. I have no idea why he sponsors and maintains this forum; h
    e never advertises his own web site on here.

There is an e-mail contact on his web site. I suggest that those who want more storage space use that e-mail and make a request of him. Who knows? He may do it.
    My experience of him over the years I have been here is that he is an experimental genius with a wide range of interests. My limited dealings with him indicate that he is a considerate, thoughtful man.

Richard