Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobucket Puts Screws to Everybody

There seems to be a small nucleus of members here who would be willing to do something about making this site more robust and secure.
    Let's take a small step forward. Let's start a thread to discuss how we will accomplish this task.

I would suggest taking it to the owner of the site. Unless he is on board with it, you can can do all the talking you want and it won't matter one bit.
    Bones

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    Mark my words, this PB goat rope will end up in court! People are raving pissed and they have a right to be. This is nothing more than good old fashion hostage and extortion! Don't delete you PB accounts just yet, you'll want to collect your nine bucks from the class action lawsuit that I smell some greedy ass lawyer cooking up!
    I'm guessing PB is a private company (not public), meaning they can basically do whatever the F*&k they want. However, they also will have a hard time existing w/o any customers. So, as I'm told happened with Adobe (pulling the same shit), they'll just end up lowering their price due to customer outcry. So Jag's right, probably wise to not abandon them yet, give 'em a few months. However, IMHO, they've also already shown their hand...to be basically mean and evil to their own customers. That will be their death-sentence, so wise to take it as a sign of long-term instability to keep using them.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

To add to the photo discussion, I had already collected the pictures and wrote this post before the PB debacle. I used MS paint to resize the photos to 800x600 and AA photo storage. The photo's range 120kb-200kb each. I would be able to make 10 posts similar to this in my lifetime membership at AA with the 20MB storage allocation.

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...956#post203956

On forum usage, I have noticed there are usually only a handful of members signed in at any one time. During high traffic time maybe 15. However, there is usually 100-300 guests. I wonder how many of those are members that just are not signed in versus guests that are yet to become members. ?

I would add I do appreciate the owners and moderators making the site available to us. I enjoy it, think it could become and even greater resource, and would be great if some further consideration could be given to the discussion in this thread. The forum maintenance part isn't my skillset but we seem to have some knowledgeable folks here that may be able to help out.

Best,
    Kelly
    Last edited by kcoffield; 07-06-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Because I never get it right the first time

I noticed the member vs guest numbers too Kelly. One method around that is to require membership to read. This can be a two edged sword, but it was how I ran a forum. I prefer allowing excess registration and then dumping the inactives once a month. Actually less work than having to approve each Tom, dick and Harry one at a time. When they return to re register, you know have a desire to participate. Those people I would keep... dump the rest, no big loss.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FishbonzWVa View Post
    I would suggest taking it to the owner of the site. Unless he is on board with it, you can can do all the talking you want and it won't matter one bit.
    Why didn't I think of that ???? :-/ who is it?
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

I'm pretty sure Lionel created this forum and is still running it.
    http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/
    Bones

I don't always sign in to read the posts. If I want to see the pictures or make comments, I must. I just feel nervous about leaving the computer and not signing out; being signed-in and leaving seems like leaving the phone off the hook.

Photo bucket just sent me the Your screwed notice.
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Photo bucket just sent me the Your screwed notice.
    That sucks. Hate to see your excellent posts are now pretty much useless. I haven't gotten my love letter yet from those a-holes.
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

OK, they nailed me today. I just got the "PAY or DIE" e-mail. I guess they don't want anyone on their site anymore. I'll keep it for now since my old photos are still on here.

Picture is still showing up, so we'll see. ??