Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobucket Puts Screws to Everybody

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
    Beautiful engine jammer, I would love to see alot more like that, lol. I havnt used photobucket since they started requiring an account to use it. I just use tinyimg or just upload them to the site here.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Im thinking that photobucket has shot themselves in their head with this one. Time will tell but I expect to see a major boycott of their site in the days to come.
    I plan on pulling down all my photos off Photobucket and deleting my account. I don't use it much anyway and I'm upset that inspite of all the millions of click-bait ads on their website, they're still going to charge everyone! Nope.
    "Success is 99% determination"

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Im thinking that photobucket has shot themselves in their head with this one. Time will tell but I expect to see a major boycott of their site in the days to come.
    I agree and certainly hope you are correct. I thought something was fishy about a year ago when they offered to up my free limit from 2GB-10GB......letting out line before setting the hook.

I have all my photos stored locally but it completely blew me up here on AA as I had used PB almost exclusively for posting here since joining. My Furnace build thread, more recent foamy thread, everything.....sort of depressing. I could rebuild them but wow it would take a lot time to redo what was done in a bunch of little bits. Before I even consider such, I want to do a little research and wait and see what percolates in the internet ether. I have a personal website and domain but I think the links may also break if I use it to host photos and ever move the domain hosting service. Is that always the case?

If the PB fee was reasonable that would be one thing, but after free, their demand of $400/yr is way out of norm for just hosting pictures and videos IMO by at least 4x. Even though they are for profit, doing that and then holding their customers hosted content ransom at far above market rate is extreme. Why on Earth would anyone re-up with them after that move? A couple years from now they do it again, right? Why would you choose PB if you were considering them compared to others?

Many other forums and threads of others I subscribe, read, and contribute to are also affected and will be for quite some time to come.

Hopefully any unfortunate soles that didn't locally save their PB content can pay for one month, download their pictures, and then refuse the credit card payment for the one month. I think people should make their mission to F' with them.....power in numbers

I hope their are a lot of consumer complaints and they get a pile of legal challenges for predatory business practice and whatever else can be dreamed up.

Best,
    Kelly

Guys, I realize everybody does their own thing, but finally wrote up a small HOWTO on using SpiderOak to "host" my images. Not for everybody, but it works for me and it's cheap.

For help updating all your forum posts, I wrote a pair of little python scripts to do it for me. Using it for another provider would require modifying it to replace the [IMG][/IMG] links with alternate URLs ones. Doable, but since everybody's going to have different URLs, it wouldn't be that easy to make it work for everyone. At a minimum, you'd need to understand regular expressions (fancy search-replace language). But if there's enough interest, I could maybe be persuaded to hack on it and make it more approachable.

I have a personal website and domain but I think the links may also break if I use it to host photos and ever move the domain hosting service. Is that always the case?
    Not true, as long as you own the domain, there's always a way for you to control the URLs no matter what provider you use (i.e. you can always make them match what they were before). There's not even any requirement that you're hosting provider is the same as your domain-name registrar. But if you loose control over the domain name, you're screwed.

Then there's DIY, throw up a Linux + Apache server on the cheap with these guys (fantastic support). IIRC, $9/month gets you a nice little Linux box with a public/static IP more than capable of hosting a small website. Domains are what, $10-20 a year or so, less if you get one for a decade. The EFF is even handing out free SSL/TLS certs nowadays. So given enough geek, you could do the whole thing and even encrypt it for around $110 per year (excluding backups).
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

I'ld rather pay a membership fee (within reason) to AA and get the owner to modify the parameters within the site so everybody whose a paid member can up load directly.

I'm in the same boat as you Kelly.
    I have a few custom restoration/rebuild threads out there on a couple different boating sites (1 being a 4 year progress) along with in depth tutorials on marine mechanical rebuilds of tilt and trim units, etc., etc., etc.

I finally got all my photos and what not off their site.

They aren't just getting greedy and hurting the users of their site but all the other sites where people have contributed knowledgeable threads which creates flow traffic for those other sites.

I don't think there's sunny sky's in the days to come for PB.

Administrator Site Admin
    I have been using Spider Oak for over a year now. It is an exceptional service. I have used several back up servers over the past 20 years, and Spider Oak is by far the best. The people who run it know their business. And they are serious about serving their customers. They are real professionals.

I use it to host files I want to share with other people (I simply give them the URL of the shared file) and I use it to host photographs for posting on forums. The whole thing costs me 7 dollars a month. All of my data files are automatically backed up to Spider Oak each time I save a file.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Quote Originally Posted by OCD View Post
    I'ld rather pay a membership fee (within reason) to AA and get the owner to modify the parameters within the site so everybody whose a paid member can up load directly.
    Same here but...after reading about vBulletin's support for their product I'm wondering if that would be a good solution. I'm getting nervous about the life of this forum. I've been looking into the possibility of migrating the database to another forum program. Has anyone heard of Drupal? It supposedly can import a vBulletin database. Looks complicated to set up though.

Administrator Site Admin
    I would like that too, but it ain't gonna happen.

If you only post photographs of 50 kb or less you have a lot of capacity here. (400 photos) An 800 X 600 photo of 50 kb is plenty good quality on a web page.

The people who get in trouble with exceeding their limits here are probably posting photos of 500 kb or mo
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Quote Originally Posted by OCD View Post

I'm in the same boat as you Kelly.
    I have a few custom restoration/rebuild threads out there on a couple different boating sites (1 being a 4 year progress) along with in depth tutorials on marine mechanical rebuilds of tilt and trim units, etc., etc., etc.

I finally got all my photos and what not off their site.

They aren't just getting greedy and hurting the users of their site but all the other sites where people have contributed knowledgeable threads which creates flow traffic for those other sites.

I don't think there's sunny sky's in the days to come for PB.
    Can you link the site threads to your boat restoration? Im interested in checking them out.
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

Sure David.
    Here's 2 of the threads from 1 site.

Sadly, all the pics are being held hostage for ransom by you know who, "PB" which have now all been removed from their site.

The first link is to a thread on re-manufacturing Yamaha Tilt & Trim units.

http://mbgforum.com/topic/993-yamaha-tampt-overhaul/

This link is to a Hewes LT 20 Flats boat I own & completely rebuilt from inside out with LOTS of custom fabrication during the process.
    Final cost was around $40K if memory serves me correctly but that was including complete motor rebuild and a new tandem axle trailer.

http://mbgforum.com/topic/797-94-hewes-lt-20-overhaul/

Own another bigger boat I spent a few dollars on restoring and upgrading "Everything" but never got around to starting a thread on that one.

Rasper, any chance we might be able to get an off topic sub section going here?