Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Shrinkage question

Quote Originally Posted by 71buickfreak View Post
    I get there, and I asked what chemical they used to strip it. He says "Oh, I decided the angle grinder would be faster". He basically ruined the part by grinding it. It is wavy, the peaked center ridge looks an S and is practically gone, plus he went even deeper and exposed more pits. It has scars and dips, it is going to take a lot of work to save it.
    Very sorry to hear this. I can't imagine what kind of PC'ing shop would take an angle grinder to a customer's part, knowing what it was and being a 1-pc order. Leaves me to wonder if that's the limit of his judgment if he isn't also short on ability in general. Wouldn't pin holes and small flaws be something pretty routinely addressed for powder coaters? Granted, you have a high cosmetic standard to be met but that can't be an unusual requirement for a PC'er either.

How would you save the part other than re-contouring the whole part yourself?

Best,
    Kelly
    My furnace build ----- I toil and fettle then foam turns to metal!

Quote Originally Posted by 71buickfreak View Post
    I have used lab metal before, it works, but you have to really be careful. It is not perfect. Most powder coaters have better success with JB weld for pinholes.

I also have to tell you guys what happened. SO I got a call from the powder coater this morning. They said that they could not get good results, and that they went ahead and stripped it. They don't want to do the ceramic, they are not charging me for the powder work, come get it.

I get there, and I asked what chemical they used to strip it. He says "Oh, I decided the angle grinder would be faster". He basically ruined the part by grinding it. It is wavy, the peaked center ridge looks an S and is practically gone, plus he went even deeper and exposed more pits. It has scars and dips, it is going to take a lot of work to save it. I am beyond upset. He knew it was a critical piece, and he ruined it. Recasting it would cost 1100, plus about 2 weeks of fitment work and making new mounting tails. which would end up being about 3 grand in labor. I am hopeful that I can repair it, but damn, this is a heart breaker.
    Man, that really sucks. I dont think I would have left unless I had a piece of someones ...........
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

Nothing I could do, I did express my extreme displeasure.

I can rework it, but I have to do the work that had already been done and now it will require even more epoxy, whereas before it was just filling the casting pits, now it will be used like body filler to smooth out the gouges, as I can't just take the entire surface down.

It is quite frustrating.

I feel ya.

Maybe you could just paint it silver, then spray a silver marblizer and brush stroke it, then clear... satin clear.
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

First i want to say i don't represent hi-temp metal filler in any way.... I just want to point out lab metal filler is a paint like filler... The hi-temp is more like a paste and can be laid down thicker and/or multi coated... It needs to be heated to 425*f for at least an hour to cure... It can then be fired to 700*f for your ceramic.... If you already know this, sorry for being redundant..