Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Lathe

Great pics... Congrats

Odd they scraped the head stock. Being a non moving part you don't tend to find them in need of truing up.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Thanks all for the comments, however I did not do any of the work ... so I cannot take credit for that. I just drove to the greater Chicago area and plunked down a little cash. I was actually looking for a 12" Clausing, but when I ran across this one I had to jump on it. I got it cheaper than I could have gotten a well used Clausing 12". A guy over on PM did the rebuild (less the work he hired out). He is an older gent and basically does a couple a year to keep busy. The machine tools in his basement shop was jaw dropping. Huge BP Mill, Horizontal mill, surface grinder, 2 comparators, and 4 lathes up and running (besides the 2 he had rebuilt to sell).
    Quote Originally Posted by rotarysmp View Post
    Nice restore. Who did the bed grinding for you? Expensive? Looks like it was in pretty good condition before the restoration. I see only minor chuck scars ont he cross slide.

Did you have to drop the lead screw down to get it realigned with the lowered saddle?

I have a similar collet closer on my Boley 4LV, and really like it. I use collets whenever possible. It is a bit of a pain screwing them in and out, bit the near perfect runout is a a luxury.
    Mark
    All I remember is that it was someone in the Chicago area that did the bed grinding. Not sure of the cost and based on what I paid ... I did not want to ask and dwell on it. From what I understood, it was actually in pretty poor shape prior to the rebuild. As far as lowering the lead screw ... I am not sure and actually never even thought of it. There are no signs of it being lowered as it currently sits, although if he did that by oblonging the wholes on the QCGB and end support bearing ... I probably wouldn't see it unless I pulled it apart.

I did not have collets on my old lathe, so have no experience. But, I do plan on getting a set and suspect that I will use them a bunch. It also came with an older (but nice shape) 6" Buck Adjust Tru chuck and 5 sets of new jaws. I still need to get a new backing plate for my other three jaw and need to get a new 4 jaw (old one had an integral back plate). Luckily the QCTP from the old lathe fits this one nicely, which I am glad of ... since I have over a dozen tool holders.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Vibert View Post
    Great pics... Congrats

Odd they scraped the head stock. Being a non moving part you don't tend to find them in need of truing up.
    I may be wrong and maybe they didn't have to do the headstock, not sure. I suppose that would depend on how much they had to scrape the tailstock? Too much and you'd think they would have to shim it (which I see no signs of) or lower the headstock.

Blog Entries
    How is that Logan working out for you? Were you able to track down any collets yet?
    Mark

Mark, I like the lathe a bunch. My old 10" Logan could do nearly everything, but it had change gears (not a QCGB). The new lathe is much handier ... quick change of feed rates and change RPM on the fly. I actually do a little better job as I tend to tune it in a little better.

Collets are not an issue as they are regular 5-C sized collets, and I have since bought a set. The set I bought are Chinese, but appear to be good enough for me. I typically use a chuck for most of my work, and leave the collet closer off. But when I find myself making multiple parts ... I have found the collets and closer to be very handy.
    Just an old dog, learning new tricks.

Blog Entries
    5C native spindle. Nice. Boley obviously wanted to show off as lathe makers when mine was designed. The collet threads are M21x1,1mm pitch.

We are still waiting to see a photo of the logan with swarf
    Mark