Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I went to an Auction this weekend...

So I went to an Auction this weekend...

I went to a local auction yard this weekend. And Came home with some new projects / tools.

A little 8" Logan shaper model ES8.

Clasuing model 8540 Horizontal Mill

The mill is 3 phase so I'll have to do some looking to see what it will take to convert it. I'm not sure the HP of the motor. That will tell me if I have a motor to swap out on it or if I have a VFD I can use on it.

Both units run well, they were pulled from a local High School after sitting idle (ish) for years after they closed the metal shop. I had worked for the school in years past, and have used these two machines so I know their in good working order. The shaper could use a better vise, and both are short on tooling but the price was good, and I've been on the hunt for a mill for awhile.
    Now I have to clean a space for them in the shop, drill bolt holes in the concrete, and unload them. The shaper only weighs about 700lbs.... The Mill is a little over 1000Lbs.

CBB
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice finds! I had gotten myself a shaper a while back and absolutely love the thing since. I made my own swivel vise and such for it and still have the patterns here if you wanted to borrow them, it's for a 7" rhodes shaper tho, but might work on yours. I made mine out of aluminum, and it's more than thick enough and strong enough to do any machining in it that I could find and havnt really seen any wear and tear other than the paint coming off.

Here's what it looks like if you are interested.
    http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...Heavy-warning)

I believe the vise jaws holding area is something like 5" wide, 1 1/2" deep and 4 or 5 inches long, but the vise itself is like 7" long, 5" wide, and thicker than needed for a vise, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBillyBob View Post
    The mill is 3 phase so I'll have to do some looking to see what it will take to convert it. I'm not sure the HP of the motor. That will tell me if I have a motor to swap out on it or if I have a VFD I can use on it.
    Have you considered buying/building a rotary phase convertor?

When I built my shop a bought a 10HP turn key for $750 delivered, pulled wire before I hung sheet rock, and it was money well spent. I wouldn't have needed 10HP except for the hard starting ability.

http://www.northamericaphaseconverte...se-converters/

I have a 20" Dual Disc Oliver sander that is a bear to spin up to speed but at that price it made no sense to save $100-200 on a smaller model. I now have three 3-ph machines and just added a Wells Index Vertical mill. Transporting and setting all 3000lbs of it in place in my shop this weekend.

There's lot's of good old industrial grade iron out there that is obsolete from the standpoint of today's manufacturing but golden for home shops, especially if you have three phase. Of course VFD is pretty hard to beat but if you think you might add other 3ph machines in the future, could be worth some thought.

Good score.

Best,
    Kelly

I have that same shaper, Think I have owned it for 25 years now...
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

Kelly,

If I knew I was going to add more 3 phase equipment I would be adding a rotary phase converter. Right now I just have the mill. I'm leaning toward a VFD if nothing else to keep the option for a rotary phase converter if I add more tools in the future. They are simple to built just need a big single phase motor, a bigger than needed 3 Phase motor something to mount them too and a belt. Drive the 3 phase motor from the single phase add in a little magical wiring... Converter! If I had the $$ and the need the American Rotary units are nice!

Dave,
    My only experience with a shaper to this point has been to mess around and make some test cuts (a 2" flat on a bit of angle Iron) before this unit was removed from service. Any tips, tricks or required reading would be appreciated. Also if there's a must have accessory that makes it more usable I'm all ears.

I the long term I have a Ford Model A drive shaft that needs shortened and re-splined. We're hoping that we"ll be able to do it all in house now. I'm pretty sure it's going to be more of a "which machine do I use?" kind of question not a "can we do it" question. But that is not going to be tackled for a while... got another car to finish first ... and I'm sure some life will get in the way.

CBB

Blog Entries
    Nice score. Glad these excellent machines end up with someone who appreciates them, rather than the Chinese furnace.

I'll second your notion for a VFD. If you're into older industrial type machinery, it will surprise you how the desire for 3ph power will creep up on you. Rather than jumping through the hoops to swap out the motor, a plug and play VFD will make short term life simpler. My point, speaking from my personal experience is, retrofitting a single phase motor for that first machine appears to be the right choice. After you've done the second one, you start to consider how simpler it would have been if you had a rotary phase. By the time you get your hands on something that requires something in the range of 5hp, you'll be kicking yourself.

Diff strokes, diff folks... just speaking on my own behalf.

Nice grab by the way... I'm looking to replace my little Rockwell vertical with a smallish universal machine. Not that I have much need for horizontal machining, but it would make some things easier.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

The Mill went for $170 us... Vertical mills like a bridgeport are nice... but clapped out units bring $1K or more around here from what I've seen. I couldn't pass this guy up! Even if I spend a little on tooling and a vice I'm ok with it.

CBB

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBillyBob View Post
    Kelly,

If I knew I was going to add more 3 phase equipment I would be adding a rotary phase converter. Right now I just have the mill. I'm leaning toward a VFD if nothing else to keep the option for a rotary phase converter if I add more tools in the future. They are simple to built just need a big single phase motor, a bigger than needed 3 Phase motor something to mount them too and a belt. Drive the 3 phase motor from the single phase add in a little magical wiring... Converter! If I had the $$ and the need the American Rotary units are nice!

Dave,
    My only experience with a shaper to this point has been to mess around and make some test cuts (a 2" flat on a bit of angle Iron) before this unit was removed from service. Any tips, tricks or required reading would be appreciated. Also if there's a must have accessory that makes it more usable I'm all ears.

I the long term I have a Ford Model A drive shaft that needs shortened and re-splined. We're hoping that we"ll be able to do it all in house now. I'm pretty sure it's going to be more of a "which machine do I use?" kind of question not a "can we do it" question. But that is not going to be tackled for a while... got another car to finish first ... and I'm sure some life will get in the way.

CBB
    You are probably aware of the old saying, "You can make anything on a shaper except money..."

I have a 12" Hendey toolroom model with all the bells and whistles - auto downfeed, adjustable vise, etc. - and it just sits most of the time. I think I've used it twice in the past 5-6 years and both of those jobs could have been done on the Bridgeport. I have to think of stuff to put on it and that effort just makes my head hurt.<LOL>

I'm not into this to make money. This is a hobby for me, so versatility is great... and I have to take my time, because I don't know what I'm doing most of the time