Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Thoughts on 3d sand printing...

I don't see sand printers getting a cheap as 3-d printers though. We forget that there are not that many of us people that melt metal in our back yards. Our best (cheap)hope is to make patterns out of 3d printed objects, or watch for better 3d printer string like the wax string that can be melted out. It was still pretty pricey when I last saw it.
    Do I have to concede to being an adult if it means that I can play with fire?

Binder jetting would likely be better but using the laser simplifies things. By using the laser I can keep with open source slicing programs and electronics. This greatly reduces the cost of the project as well as the complexity.
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

I figure that both would use the same layer programs. I've never done it, but I bet cad programs have a mold feature that make a reverse of the part that either system could use. I picture spray systems being too crude and clogging (I don't know how inkjets get away with it), and laser being too slow and tiny, and bouncing off grains and stuff, and not penetrating too deeply. I picture being able to get something to work, but it might be hard to get a decent finish.
    Do I have to concede to being an adult if it means that I can play with fire?

any update on this david?

Quote Originally Posted by dzuari View Post
    any update on this david?
    Nothing yet, guy on night shift had a heart attack and i am having to cover part of his shift. Not much free time right now. What little i do have im working on finishing up my cnc mill conversion.
    The way things are looking at work i may not get any free time until late next year
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....