Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with kwiky inspired style burner

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    A little height helps the kwiky run smooth and mine runs on just 5psi air. I don't remember the details of my burner, but I built it wayyy back then to the spec in the video. I do recall having to work the mig tip issue twice and nailed it the second go. The only other issue I had with it, it would run fine on diesel but not on 100oil. The fix was to make sure you can get the business end as close to the inner furnace wall as you can. 3-4inches seems about right to me. Stick a tape measure from inside the furnace to the tip of the kwiky. That's what your looking for.

When I light mine, I do it outside the furnace with the air and diesel on, I get a good 2 foot flame then stuff it in the furnace and start adding air. In the beginning, this thing is NOT a light it and walk away deal like propane. You have to fiddle with it and learn what it likes. It will reward you in SUPER CHEAP fuel consumption for those long melts. I once had a love/hate relationship with mine, but we understand each other these days.

Attachment 21825
    Attachment 21826
    Attachment 21828
    Jag, Are you talking about elevating the oil/diesel? I was planning on using a 50/50 mix of oil and diesel. I'm still trying to dial in my burner but I feel like it's never getting enough fuel to it. I usually have to close off the back of the pipe because it blows out the flame right away otherwise.

Yes.. Elevate the fuel source. Oil/diesel or chicken grease, get it higher than your burner. I had a flameout once from my tower of power. Forgot to take the lid off the old r22 tank. DUH!
    If you are having to choke off the air, then it's running too lean. The fix is more air pressure on that venturi or more pressure on the fuel tank to help push the fuel in. I choose to raise my fuel source. The top tank in my photo is 100% used motor oil, I don't cut it with diesel. And the bottom tank is jet-A sump fuel (diesel) I start on the jet-A, get it up to temp and introduce the oil while backing off the jet-A. Have you done a simple test with just water spraying into a milk jug? Shut the fan off, start your venturi sucking on bucket full of water raised up. Point the nozzle at a milk jug and spray for 10minutes into it. Measure the water collected and multiply by 6. You need to be spray water at about 1.5 gallons per hour. This is a good starting point for you. If you aren't spraying these kinds of numbers, your venturi setup needs more work. Took me a couple tries to get the mig tip shaped correctly to get it to pull water. If the water/air goes back up the hose to the water source and bubbles, you made a pressure washer. Keep at it. It's not the easiest burner, but once working, you too can laugh at the propane guys pi$$ing away money on fuel. lol That was my only source of inspiration to get it going. CHEAPNESS!
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --