Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with kwiky inspired style burner

Help with kwiky inspired style burner

Hello,

I desperately need help with a burner based on the Kwiky design. The first problem is that I could not find anywhere that sells 1/8 sized fittings where I live. After searching for a week, I finally decided to give it a try with 3/8 fittings, which is the smallest sold here. Second problem, I got the the 3/8 elbow and T, but nowhere sells a 3/8 nipple (I did find only a connecting nipple, but not a spacing nipple). So today I finally decided to go to the scrap yard and found some bits and pieces to put together (I think they thought I was crazy digging around and trying to explain what I wanted in my terrible Polish). Here's what I ended up with:

20170406_130436[1].jpg20170406_142644[1].jpg20170406_142702[1].jpg20170406_173905[1].jpg20170406_173931[1].jpg

I found three pieces I was able to pound together to make a tight fitting inner chamber. I had to use 1/2 to 3/8 reducers with a 1/2 nipple. The problem is that it is not siphoning, only blowing bubbles (tested it with water). When I actually poured water down the tube into it, it misted quite nicely. I dont know much about this, but Im thinking that is maybe because of the excess room around where the mig tip is housed. Any ideas would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks much!

I had that same issue when I rebuilt mine, and it was because the hole at the end was far too big, when I went with a much smaller hole, it fixed it and it worked better than ever afterwards. The hole that Im talking about is the one that is right in front of the mig tip, the pipe plug nozzle on the front of the burner. It might also might need adjusted outwards or towards it a little bit too if it isnt creating enough of a vacuum. If your getting bubbling back in your fuel line or water tank, then it means that you arent pumping enough air through the mig nozzle vs the size of the nozzle, either you can increase the size of the mig tip, which eats more air, or make the nozzle smaller by getting another plug and drilling a smaller hole. I believe the size for an 0.023 (0.6mm) mig tip is a 3/16" hole in the nozzle.

It doesnt matter about the body of it as long as the mig tip is the right size and the hole in the plug nozzle is the right size. I made a burner out of 1/4" copper pipe and mig tips, and it works just as well as my big one, I just soldered it all together except the front, I just tapped threads into the tubing so I could adjust it, which is extremely thin when tapped, so it wasnt easy, lol.
    Last edited by cae2100; 04-06-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Have you tried to light it or are you basing your question on how the water came out?

I have not built a Kwiky burner but have made quite a few aspirated burners in other designs. It looks to me that your gas nozzle is too far down past the opening for air. Can you add a close nipple and coupling to the end of the T and move the orifice closer to the inlet?

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure what the exact size of the hole I put in the plug was. I just used the bit I had on hand that appeared to be a good size, it is about 2mm. I think I will just go and get a few plugs and experiment with different sized holes. I don't know a thing about mig sizes, but mine says "0.8 - 0.030". I'm guessing .8 is the inlet size and .03 is the outlet size. I haven't tried to light it as the fuel is not being supplied yet, no siphon.

Pretty sure they are both the outlet size; 0.8mm is within around a thou or so of 0.03".

Where's Metalshop at these days? He ought to have some good insight on this. And maybe the lost foam tube casting thread too...

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Quote Originally Posted by KyleM View Post
    I'm guessing .8 is the inlet size and .03 is the outlet size. I haven't tried to light it as the fuel is not being supplied yet, no siphon.
    the hole may be too small if it's 2mm in the plug, for an 030 nozzle, I would go with a 5mm hole in it, that should give a decent amount of siphon effect. The 0.030 is in inches, and 0.8 is in metric, just the same measurement for the wire in two different measurement systems. The 030 mig tip might be a little too bit and will eat the air a bit more than the 023 tip will, so the air compressor will run more or if it's a tiny compressor, it might not be able to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleM View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I am not sure what the exact size of the hole I put in the plug was. I just used the bit I had on hand that appeared to be a good size, it is about 2mm. I think I will just go and get a few plugs and experiment with different sized holes. I don't know a thing about mig sizes, but mine says "0.8 - 0.030". I'm guessing .8 is the inlet size and .03 is the outlet size. I haven't tried to light it as the fuel is not being supplied yet, no siphon.
    I'm speculating here but .8 might be millimeters (roundup from .762mm) and .030 is decimal inches - both for the hole size.

Must be true; the last 3 posters all agree...

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Wow, going into this I was more focused on the fact I couldnt find the right size fittings that I really didn't pay much attention to the mig tip size and hole. Its amazing how important this is, seems to be the most important part compared to what pipe fittings are used. I haven't been able to find a .023 tip, so I'm stuck with using the .03 for now. I drilled out the cap to 5mm and gave it a test and I definitely got some siphon, but it was pulsating. When I tried with my longer hose (1 1/2 meter) and control valve it was not strong enough to siphon at all. I will keep trying and try not to go crazy in the meantime. Thanks all for the help.

Forgot to add that my compressor is small. 2HP 50L 8 bar. Not sure if that is considered a tiny compressor or not.

A little height helps the kwiky run smooth and mine runs on just 5psi air. I don't remember the details of my burner, but I built it wayyy back then to the spec in the video. I do recall having to work the mig tip issue twice and nailed it the second go. The only other issue I had with it, it would run fine on diesel but not on 100oil. The fix was to make sure you can get the business end as close to the inner furnace wall as you can. 3-4inches seems about right to me. Stick a tape measure from inside the furnace to the tip of the kwiky. That's what your looking for.

When I light mine, I do it outside the furnace with the air and diesel on, I get a good 2 foot flame then stuff it in the furnace and start adding air. In the beginning, this thing is NOT a light it and walk away deal like propane. You have to fiddle with it and learn what it likes. It will reward you in SUPER CHEAP fuel consumption for those long melts. I once had a love/hate relationship with mine, but we understand each other these days.

20150408_185202.jpg
    20150802_205740.jpg
    20141229_201448.jpg
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --