Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oops, I bougt a bandsaw

Oops, I bougt a bandsaw

You see what happened was:
    I went over to my next door neighbor to ask about particulars of using the town truck for rubbish removal be'ns they had the truck.
    They were in the process of getting rid of grandpa's stuff since he was dead and all. Said they were planning on a garage sale.
    I said I'll give you $100 bucks for that band saw. He said OK. I gave him the cash and picked it up and carried it home. I'm still winded.

IMG_0258.jpg

A jet? I've seen these labeled from several companies, mine being a Jet. They are quite serviceable but finding good blades is impossible. The only way is to buy a roll of good bandsaw blade material, then cut and weld your own. I don't have a band welder!
    What is that squeaking noise?

Dang, I didn't want to hear about trouble getting blades. This one is labeled a Buffalo HVMBS-45.

Not sure how it is down your way but just find a blade dealer near you and have them made. The cost is minimal and you end up with better blades with pitches that suit you common materials. Odds are it's going to be a generic size anyway.

That style of saw has been rebadged by everybody. Even if it had a manufacturer sticker on it, it would probably be stick to a different one underneath....lol

Nice grab for $100... Go for the world around me.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Administrator Site Admin
    The only way is to buy a roll of good bandsaw blade material, then cut and weld your own. I don't have a band welder!
    You don't need one. I used silver solder for years. Until I closed my California shop and gave the saw away.

I cut the blade at a 45 degree angle and ground a taper about 3/8 inch long on both ends. I made up a little clamping jig from a scrap of steel angle. I used 45% silver solder WITH cadmium. It flows better. Just don' breath it. (McMaster-Carr sells it.)

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Hmmmm, never thought of using silver solder. I didn't mean you would have trouble finding blades, just the good bi-metal ones
    What is that squeaking noise?

There are tons of great mods for that saw on YouTube. You can get the manual online too (HF bandsaw). The first thing I did to mine when I got it home was to tie those pathetic legs together. Bending the wheels back down to a decent contact angle is next. I bought mine on Craigslist cheap and have so far broken one blade. Who knows how old the blade was or what it's been through. I bought a new 14tpi blade to replace the old one and a 6tpi for aluminum. I thought the 14 was too fine for aluminum because it kept jamming the saw. It cut steel quite nicely though. I haven't tried the 6 yet.
    Mine didn't have the table for vertical position cutting. I need to make one. I use the saw quite a bit now, but that would be a really great addition.
    You will be pleased.

Pete

Administrator Site Admin
    I thought the 14 was too fine for aluminum because it kept jamming the saw.
    In cutting aluminum you want to use wood cutting speeds. When we built aluminum boats back in my shipyard days we used wood cutting bandsaws.

And cutting stainless. I used to cut a lot of 22 ga. and 24 ga 304 stainless. I found the best way was to have a worn out blade dedicated to stainless and run it fast and basically burn my way through the metal. (Only a damn fool would even mess with stainless.)

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

buy yourself a good bimetal blade

https://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/