Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Cast Bronze Gas Lantern

No vacuum needed Zap. Mix equal parts by volume with no thivex first coat. You mix for a minute and thats good enough. Apply with a cheap chip brush and try to get the loose hairs outta the brush before you start. Brush it on and pay attention to getting it into the crevices. Wait 1hr, grab a new brush and mix more up with a handful of thivex drops mixed in. It will be thicker. At about the 3rd or 4th coat, you'll be able to spatula the thick stuff on to build up thickness. Keep going and use up the rest of you rebound25 (30buck kit) It doesn't keep. They have some kind of plastic mother mold kit I want to use next time. It would be perfect for your bird, two halves. See these videos I would completly encapsulate your bird with the R25, build the mothermold, remove, then slice the rubber up the front of the bird to get him out. I have to run open face with my frames so not much wax pouring going on for me. Your bird is different and can be closed up, but your feet are another thing.
    Geeze, I sound like a spokesman for this stuff. :-/ I do like it, it's not really that expensive, works great on undercuts and the detail is good enough for the girls I go out with.

Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

It is WAYYY too hot to be screwing with wax out in the garage. Time to consider adding AC out there. I did stand 4 sides next to each other to see what this might look like. Poured a 5th frame and ran inside. The waxes are safe inside the AC. Time for some couch time with a sketch pad and come up with something for a roof and a mount.
    Mockup1.jpg

mockup2.jpg
    -- Donald Trump --

Administrator Site Admin
    Whenever I am not working on my waxes I keep them in a tub of water. That way they stay exactly in the shape I made them in, and away from damage by other things as well.

R
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Man, that lantern is gonna be sweeeet! Can't wait to see it in bronze, all lit up. Keep up the great work...

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

So I need some large wax sheets... Youtube shows plenty of idiots dumping wax in cold water or the real idiots dumping water in hot wax. Barry at outback explained years ago about hot wax on hot water. Well, this makes sense because during my last dewax, I removed a sheet of wax from the water. Agreed it was nasty and a horrible shape. This time I'm trying it a little more controlled. Water was 170 degrees and the wax was around 200. I poured it slowly and then cooled it with water after it was good and stiff.
    20170613_200745.jpg

And..... A wax pizza. Nice and flat, uniform thickness. Doing it this way, the water doesn't care that my workbench has a slope to it, which happens when I pour into a plaster mold. Now to sort out the correct thickness, this is too thick. :-/

waxpizza.jpg
    Last edited by jagboy69; 06-14-2017 at 02:29 AM.
    -- Donald Trump --

Better. I reduced the weight of the first pizza by 25% and tried again. This is a little thicker than 1/4". You can bet I wrote the numbers down to make this happen again. I never could have poured a piece this large and have it the exact thickness the full length with a plaster setup. Thanks to Barry for the stellar idea. You the man!
    Waxpizza2.jpg
    -- Donald Trump --

Poured some similar to this a couple days ago. I used a cookie sheet (don't tell my wife). I ended up too thick too. pouring and watching the wax flow, I waited until it flowed to the edge, but by the time it leveled out it was over a quarter inch, I was going for about 3/16" +/-.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
    I used a cookie sheet (don't tell my wife)
    Yeah, I got my ass handed to me when I used her big pot to just heat up the water. All I did was stick the tip of a garage sale meat thermometer in the water for 1 second. Then round 2 came when I cleaned the pot with hot soapy water, dried it and put it away. Apparently, she felt the need to clean it as I must lack those skills I suppose.... :-/
    -- Donald Trump --

Started laying out the roof lines for this thing. Here is what I am thinking at the moment. I will mimic this in fairly thin wax and over lay on top of it a pattern. I sprung for an over priced wood roof mold from hirstarts. (40some bucks I think...) Not super impressed with their mold making abilities. Besides not being square, the thickness of the mold is uneven so you have to jack one side of it up when placed on a level surface. Maybe this doesnt matter when pouring dental stone or the dorks pouring these in mom's basement cant see well enough in the dark. :-/ Piss poor quality if you ask me.
    I guess if you want something done right, you do it yourself. Thinking back, I called this guy a year ago and asked if he did the original work in cad. I asked to upsize this 100-200% and I would be willing to pay him for his time. He asked what I wanted them for and got all weird with me on the phone. I was honest and told him his work could end up in bronze. Mumbled something about copyright. SO I suppose it's okay for some dork to use his patterns to build a little house and sell it, but not what I was working. Whatever.

Does anyone have any bright ideas for doing this maybe on a larger scale? (ZAP!!!) I'm thinking these microscopic wood shingles are too small. I dont want 5 thousand of them on this roof.
    Roof.jpg
    The idea...

Hmold1.jpg
    Not square, but doesnt matter, just shows lack of give a $hit to me.

Hmold2.jpg
    This one causes trouble. Uneven thickness results in uneven molded parts. Again, BS.

Pattern.jpg
    They're cute, but really small. This is 6 sections put together from the back only as chasing this takes stupid time.
    Took an hour just to pull this off. :-/ I probably should go ahead and invest this and pour it. It might not pour worth a darn anyways.
    -- Donald Trump --

My take on a wood shingle... Maybe?
    -- Donald Trump --