Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Making 85-5-5-5 brass

I made this today. This particular top spins forever:

R
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Numb (dumb?) Question: does this alloy make 'passable' bearings/bushings? As in "could I cast bushings with built-in mounting flanges, given suitable raw materials?"

Note that alteration of the mixture is acceptable, i.e. less zinc / lead and more tin. Note also that I'm not picky beyond 'it shouldn't be a complete headache to cast or machine, and work *passably* as a bearing, too.'
    Ouch! That stuff's hot!

den, I took a quick look at some of Ammen's mixes and the closest to the 85 triple 5 is bearing bronze at 80 copper and 10 each of lead and zinc, or journal bronze with 82-84 copper, 12-14 silicon, 2-4.5 zinc and less than 1 of lead and iron.
    I have no idea as to the ease of casting.
    If you think you can't do it, you're right!

I'm pretty sure you could make and cast any bearing alloy you wanted. There may be a little porosity but that should not hurt a bearing at all. I have cast bronzes with Cu content ranging from 65-95%. I have used various alloying metals.
    C932 bearing bronze is very close to what I made here:

Bearing Bronze (C932), a/k/a SAE 660
    Minimum Properties Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi 35,000
    Yield Strength, psi 20,000
    Elongation in 2" 10%
    Brinell Hardness 65

Chemistry:
    Copper (Cu) 81.0 - 85.0%
    Tin (Sn) 6.3 - 7.5%
    Lead 6.0 - 8.0%
    Zinc 2.0 - 4.0%

Robert
    Last edited by Robert; 04-19-2017 at 02:50 AM.
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Administrator Site Admin
    One question you have to consider is the speed of the shaft in the bearing. Having been in the old time wooden boat building business when I was younger, I had to pour bearings for my machinery sometimes, most of which ran using wide flat belts on two inch shafts run at a fairly low speeds. Damn near any bronze or lead/tin alloy did fine for that. If you are running a small shaft at 3000 rpm, the requirements are more particular. You want a tin bronze with some lead in it, or a Babbitt metal with a lot of tin.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Good points. Also, some bearing are sintered and oil impregnated.
    Robert
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Administrator Site Admin
    And there are some definite disadvantages to each: Babbitt and bronze.
    • Bronze is cheap. Maybe three dollars a pound, but more difficult to pour and to machine.
    • Babbitt is costly (tin is around 20 dollars a pound, and it takes more pounds for a given volume), but it is easy to machine by hand for a perfect fit.

R
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

'Bearing', as in a hand-turned/twisted 1/2-10 acme thread turns in it (as a nut), as part of an ersatz right-angle welding clamp (which normally goes for $$$$, if one wants to buy store-bought ones. If one wants 'several' - in our case, eight of 'em for the group's use - the tariff could easily kill a k-bill, i.e. over a hundred PER item, gack!)

Note: main castings for the eight are done, and want machining time. The large mill is somewhat lacking in the clamping department, hence tooling needs making first!

Note 2: the current drawing showes a #60 drill hole for 'oil'.

Basically, I was 'after' a half-baked version of #660 bronze - half-baked as in 'he was using a lot of scrounged materials for the ingredients, and wasn't being especially careful about the formulation'. Then again, I doubt this is an arduous aplication...
    Last edited by den; 04-29-2017 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Original needed clarification
    Ouch! That stuff's hot!