Thread: Acquiring Randsom and Randolph products?

Acquiring Randsom and Randolph products?

Like many others on here I am a cheap person and have been mixing my own investment material since I started casting things little over a year ago with varying degrees of success and not much consistency.

Anyway, I would love to try some actual professional products to see what difference it makes, more specifically R+R plasticast and R+R ceramic shell suspend a slurry/fused silica.

By the time you add in shipping the prices of these products are just crazy to me. Almost 2 bucks a pound thru rio-grande for plasticast, and alot of places are much higher to the tune of $4/lb. and I cant even find a price for the ceramic shell products so that is kinda scary.

Im just curious if you guys have a better way to buy this stuff?

I drove 6 hrs each way to pick it up at one of the supply outlets for Remet's ceramic shell products. You'll need to order and call ahead to make sure they have it ready for you to pick up.

It was about $300 for the entire starter package of ceramic shell and wax that lasted me 6+years of casting. Shipping was $150 on top of that (450 total). So basically I paid myself $12.5 an hour to drive out there and pick it up instead of paying for shipping.

I was passing through LA and had them drop ship it there at their warehouse for nothing. I flew some clients out there on a trip and just stopped by and tossed the sands and 5gallon pail on the plane and flew it home.

Where are you located? That helps. They have a few warehouses around the US, but wouldnt bring the SS to Dallas. Weird! The silica sands, sure, but not the pail. And NO SHIPPING during winter months. If it freezes, you're screwed!
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Blog Entries
    both R&R and Remet have regional warehouses all over the US. When I lived outside of Denver I could call R&R in Ohio give them a card number, place the order, drive down to Aurora, Colorado and it would be ready for me by the time I got there. Same with Remet. Deal direct with them rather than a third party supplier and save some money.
    kent

Never used the SS, but had good consistant results with the Prime-Cote
    Kent
    There is beauty, power and excitement in simple old technology!

I am located in eastern iowa. After reading that starter pack of ceramic shell lasted you YEARS that sounds like a heck of a deal. Looks like I will just have to give them a call and see if there is anything that could be worked out with some sort of drop ship to a warehouse.

Yeah I finally bought more 6 years in. At that point I still had about 20% of the binder left and 20% of the course sand left. With about 60% of the fine sand and maybe 10% of the wax so it could have been a bit longer but the lack of wax made me go in.

Granted I don't cast every day either.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyk View Post
    I am located in eastern iowa. After reading that starter pack of ceramic shell lasted you YEARS that sounds like a heck of a deal. Looks like I will just have to give them a call and see if there is anything that could be worked out with some sort of drop ship to a warehouse.
    Scotty, I just ran my first pour with the suspendaslurry. I don't have anything to compare it to, but this stuff is SLICKER than owl shit on a doorknob! It picked up finger prints in the final bronze cast. Unless something cheaper and better comes along, I'm sold on it. If you buy this stuff, be sure your shake the big bucket once or twice a month or you'll have a fun time getting it to resuspend. I left mine for 6 months, whoops! It came back with no problems, but it still took 20mins of hard work. The support gear that goes with ceramic shell is a bit of a pain, but with patience you can collect all the BS that goes with it. You will want a cheap electric kiln just for the convenience factor alone. DId you see my thread with my experience? Hope it helps someone out along the way.
    http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...TA-that-is-WAX
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --