Thread: Patterns and moulds for a cylinder head

Patterns and moulds for a cylinder head

I follow this interesting old car website, todays article is part 1 of casting a replica cylinder head using modern scanning and 3D printing techniques. The interesting part is a mention that they will be 3D printing the sand moulds, i.e. no patterns to withdraw, no pattern draft required.

http://www.prewarcar.com

That's cool stuff, I'm looking forward to seeing part two of that article. Unfortunately, I couldn't open of download the accompanying video, were you able to?

It worked for me.

It was kind of odd though, it only ran when I held the mouse cursor over the video and there didn't appear to be a download option. As soon as I moved the cursor off of the video the video reset to the beginning.

Don
    Too many irons, not enough fire,

For those late to this thread, the cylinder head story will move down the list one day at a time, you may need to scroll a page or four to find it.

For me, the little video which shows the process of scanning the head, runs when I hold the cursor on it.

The 3d printing of the sand mold is probably an ExOne printer. I've been to a foundry that had one of those. It does it by depositing sand and glue layer by layer until it builds a mold. So since you don't have any pattern to pull you can put in a negative or no draft.