Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions of new foundry

A former member here (PatJ) used an aquarium pump when starting out. I think he switched over to a compressor after a while. He became obsessed with performing melts faster than a jet car can do a quarter mile...lol

Supposedly the aquarium did what was expected. Just enough to provide a consistent feed. Not enough pressure to overcome grade though. Something to keep in mind was his choice of fuel was diesel or a waste oil / diesel blend. Either way, it's much thinner than waste oil.

I use pure veg oil, and don't do much in the way of filtering.

My furnace is solid castable refractory. I think I did the light bulb thing for the better part of a week.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

I have a mix of everything usually motor/veg oil and sometimes old diesel my uncle wouldn't burn in his boat or tractor. But I think I may install some patio screen mesh in the top of my new fuel tank and try it out with aquarium pump. But if there trouble I may use an old fridge compressor and a regulator.

Blog Entries
    I got given an old fire extinguisher as a tank. Bored out the cap, threaded it and screwed in an airline fitting. For the first trial I was using my friends shop air. No idea what pressure but probably up around 90psi. There is an annotated picture in post #70 of this thread.
    http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...l=1#post200012
    Mark

Some time ago, and somewhere on tbe forum, someone posted a video of his pressurized fuel line rupturing, and pissing oil all over the ground. I really should have ear marked that one.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

I think it may have been Justin.?. Can't swear to that. If I remember right he was going to bury the line after that happened. I think it was the heat from the lid that did it.

The only snag I have found with used motor oil is, ya gotta watch for FUZZ. Oil filters break down and wreak havoc on burners and your storage system. I have a small stainless tea strainer found at the dollarama store and it fits perfectly in the bottom of my funnel. All oil and jet fuel that goes in my tower of power goes through that strainer at least a couple of times. Since straining, my fuel feeding problems have gone away.
    20141220_190154.jpg
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Quote Originally Posted by chubbyjp77 View Post
    I think it may have been Justin.?. Can't swear to that. If I remember right he was going to bury the line after that happened. I think it was the heat from the lid that did it.
    I recall that one as well... It's the reason i warn those new to a build about how things will work after all is said and done.

The particular situation I'm referring to had real time video of the accident taken and posted here. My memory is foggy but I think the back drop was more of a parking lot, or large cement pad.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chubbyjp77 View Post
    This one comes to mind
    http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...-Tank-Disaster
    I guess everyone has to make their own judgement based on their setup and how hot their burner gets as well as the environment around it. The poster linked says 5psi but it sure gave quite a shower based on the outline of his tools in the last picture. I was using similar tubing when I was using an open fuel system with my siphon burner. It didn't get hot at all around the connection so I didn't worry about it. When I went to a pressurized tank, new furnace and rebuilt burner I bit the bullet and sprung for hose and connectors that are rated for fuel and pressure. There's still no real heat around the lines and altogether I feel pretty comfortable with the setup. My fuel tank, compressor and blower are all inside of the barn and I feed everything through a couple of 2" ports (read holes) with pigtails and attach air and fuel with quick connects outside. The furnace is about 10 ft away. I'm thinking I should run the oil line and compressed air line through an 8' length of PVC between the barn and furnace just to minimize the trip hazard.

Pete

Blog Entries
    Good point. I put my fuel tank, blower, burner and line opposite to the side I put the open lid on. Also used a metal flex reinforced hose incase I stomp on it, but running full shop air pressure into it would make for a hell of a spray if that line fails. I better use a regulator, as only a little PX is necessary to keep the oil flowing.
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am adding a 10 psi (I think that is the one I bought) safety valve to my fuel tank, just in case the regulator goes out one day.
    Someone else here did the same, which is where I got the idea.
    You can get them on ebay.

I am going to install it on a tee at the regulator, in between the regulator and the quick connect, so that no matter what tank I plug into that outlet, they are all protected, and if it does pop off, I will hear it, instead of it popping off out in the shed with the remote tank, where I may not notice it.
    Last edited by cjcaster; 03-21-2017 at 07:02 AM.