Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bronze hardware question

Bronze hardware question

I have a paying job to replicate some bronze hardware for a large estate based on patterns from the 1920's. The originals are very finely finished with no casting flaws and have a great patina after the passage of time.

I made a few sets of the same patterns about 6-7 years ago for the same contractor (these latest are for new gates) and I used greensand for the larger parts and lost wax investment for the small pieces. However, I had to do a lot of polishing and cleanup because the greensand left a moderately rough finish. The lost wax parts came out pretty good but still needed a bit of work.

At this point, I want to get away from the greensand and either go with Petrobond, Delft or something similar. The big drawback I see to the Delft is the relatively high cost vs. some of the other alternatives but I'm open to suggestions. The largest pieces are about 6" long but relatively thin in section and the rest are smaller.

I suppose I could lost wax everything but was wanting to do the simpler ones in sand because I figured it would be less work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Hollis

1 Lost wax is going to give you the best finish possible.
    2 Buy a vibratory tumbler to help with the clean up.
    3 Post some pictures!!
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

Thanks, David. I have access to a large vibratory tumbler (not mine) and will post pics as I go along.

Do you typically like Petrobond for sand work or do most folks still use greensand?

Silicone mold, wax duplicate, ceramic shell, cleanup and patina. 3yrs from scratch. Ask me how I know. ;-)
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    Silicone mold, wax duplicate, ceramic shell, cleanup and patina. 3yrs from scratch. Ask me how I know. ;-)
    That's basically what I did with the small parts before - sounds like I just need to replicate with the larger pieces and be done with it.

Thanks, H

I've been using Kerr Satin Cast 20. Does anyone have a better choice for bronze?

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I've been using Kerr Satin Cast 20. Does anyone have a better choice for bronze?
    Ransom and randolph ultravest w/o fg is the best i have found. The kerr satin cast is pretty nice too though.
    Petrobond is easy to work with and has better green strength. I have been considering switching back to green sand due to cost and ease of reconditioning.

I've attached a few pics of the handles I did in 2009. The "D" handle and the thumb latch were sand cast with the rest done in lost wax.

Does anyone have recommendations for a good silicone for reproducing wax models? I've been doing research and there are so many types and brands that I'm having trouble making a purchase decision. I like the videos that Alumilite puts out but they also have a lot of products.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks David, I'll go get some of that product and try it.

Hollis