Thread: question about propane regulator setting

question about propane regulator setting

I have a burner that is fueled by a 20# propane tank. I haven't used it in about 2 years and now I can't remember the setting I used for the propane regulator. Can anyone recommend a PSI setting.

depends on your burner type and size

Generally speaking, I never even look at my pressure gauge, I start off with just enough pressure to get a stable flame then ramp it up until I like the way it's burning.

Quote Originally Posted by rocco View Post
    Generally speaking, I never even look at my pressure gauge, I start off with just enough pressure to get a stable flame then ramp it up until I like the way it's burning.
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll just do some trial and error.

Blog Entries
    take a look at the flame from the burner and play around adjusting the pressure and observing the flame. you can get different furnace atmospheres by adjusting the fuel to air ratio. The majority of times you want a near neutral flame. There has been some discussion here regarding gas pick up of metals and how the furnace atmosphere contributes to that. In my experience, I know that aluminum likes to pick up hydrogen gas and that is the porosity you see in castings, so adjust your regulator so that you are on the oxidizing side of a neutral flame. Typically copper alloys pick up O2 so I would run my burners a little rich. Hope it helps.
    kent
    Kent
    There is beauty, power and excitement in simple old technology!