Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Skeleton Project Furnace and Tool Builds

Quote Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
    Found 2 different ones that are 48" long (8" longer than the one you linked). Would provide better ankle protection and if it is too long, you can always cut off the excess.

https://www.amazon.com/Radnor-Bourbo...+leather+apron

https://www.amazon.com/Tillman-3848-...+leather+apron
    Thank you! Just bought my gloves, apron and some clay sculpting tools to shape the sand off Amazon. I'll go to Home Depot and get the clear helmet that was suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Peedee
    Great to see your progress. With regard to boots I wear them with the laces untied but tucked in so I can kick them off if metal gets in, some people were spats as well.

Another quick note, it's a furnace not a forge, given this is an school project you may want avoid the term forge in your reports. (I'm being pedantic but it isn't correct terminology)
    Thank you for the safety tip about the shoes. I will correct my terminology error. Thank you for the correction!

Quote Originally Posted by FishbonzWVa
    Martin, I'll try to explain what's going on with the burner.
    The orifice you made by drilling with a 1/16" bit works fine in the open air. When you put it in the confines of the furnace, there is not enough room for the gas to burn. This is known as a rich atmosphere. Being rich causes the molten aluminum to absorb the hydrogen and you will have lots of porosity in the finished product. Yes, the furnace will get red hot and melt but it's not right.
    How to fix it:
    1. Get another cap and drill with a #58 or 3/64" bit, or add a blower to supply more air.

It took a long time to get this through my head. I thought the more heat I threw in the furnace the better off I was. Not true. The flame has to be dialed in to get clean melts. If you can keep the flame on the lean side you don't have to de-gas.
    I will try to create a air blower with a hair dyer and post that video so you guys can say if it looks better or not.

I have another cap but I'm not sure if either of the shops has that small of a bit but I'll ask.

Here's my two cents after pouring brass today: that crucible lift/pourer will be fine for aluminum. If you try that with brass your hand will catch fire inside the glove! I got a burn today through the glove about a foot away! Iron will set those pants on fire too!
    I am convinced a Riel burner needs a blower to get the mixture right at high temps. Any small squirrel cage blower will do it. A hair dryer will work but will not last long.
    Have fun!
    R
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Late night post but I'm finally finished with my tools and am ready for my first casting tomorrow.

I updated the post with the flask box build and the painted tools. I hope you all enjoy and thank you for making this all possible.

Paint was a bad idea on the lifter because it will burn off an possibly make some smoke. Not a big deal, just ignore the smoke and pour! By the 3rd pour it will resolve itself.
    Good work so far. Get some video for us.
    Robert
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Good to see you finished. I'm looking forward to the pours.

Would you mind when you post embedding the photos into the post you made instead of, or in addition to, updating the first post. It makes it difficult to find what you have just done when you have to go back, scroll down and search for a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Paint was a bad idea on the lifter because it will burn off an possibly make some smoke. Not a big deal, just ignore the smoke and pour! By the 3rd pour it will resolve itself.
    Good work so far. Get some video for us.
    Robert
    I should've mentioned that it is 500 F paint but it will probably still burn off; o well. If it burns off, I'll buy the 2000 F paint and try again . I just like the colors too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapins
    Good to see you finished. I'm looking forward to the pours.

Would you mind when you post embedding the photos into the post you made instead of, or in addition to, updating the first post. It makes it difficult to find what you have just done when you have to go back, scroll down and search for a link?
    O! Sorry about the photos. I'll add back the embedded photos when I can. I removed them because I could only add 15 and wanted to add more. I'll just re-add the embedded stuff and make it look nice.

Also, I am about to go out for my first pour! Should be fun.

So, I'm pretty sure I'm crazy, but I think Grant Thompson lifted my design, tweaked it slightly and made it much unsafer by not covering the Kaowool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2RYYBRFu1A&t=239s . He uses the exact same materials as I did and the design is barely changed.

I publicly posted corrections to his original design in my original post while giving him credit in the post. His original design looked like it barely held together after a couple uses so I am happy that I didn't use any of his original methods and made my own... And now it appears it has been stolen with absolutely zero credit.

Maybe I'm just crazy and this is a coincidence but a quick glance at his forge looks like a "double-burner" version using identical materials.

What do you all think?

We all borrow ideas from each other here. This stuff isn't rocket science and he may have seen sources you didn't or just thought it up on his own. I wouldn't worry about it. Frankly I don't care for his dual exhaust on the lid.
    People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by cactusdreams View Post
    We all borrow ideas from each other here. This stuff isn't rocket science and he may have seen sources you didn't or just thought it up on his own. I wouldn't worry about it. Frankly I don't care for his dual exhaust on the lid.
    I completely agree. I mean I am a high school student and was able to do this without much trouble.

What bothered me was the use of the exact same materials, very similar design, then using the Kaowool incredibly unsafely; burning bare Kaowool is not a good idea... Idk maybe I'm just crazy. I think what bothers me the most is the timing between my posts and his are pretty close and they are the exact materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Menth View Post
    So, I'm pretty sure I'm crazy, but I think Grant Thompson lifted my design, tweaked it slightly and made it much unsafer by not covering the Kaowool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2RYYBRFu1A&t=239s . He uses the exact same materials as I did and the design is barely changed.

What do you all think?
    Funny, I just got that same video in my feed today. Some of his practices...well...
    Helps to see someone else potentially goof & learn from it.

Been following your project on here. Great drive & progress. Looking forward to future posts.
    ďItís the number one challenge of being a human being, if you want to be a great human being, you have to be present. Thatís the whole deal, thatís the entire deal, everything.Ē
    - Flea - Red Hot Chili Peppers