Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Wheel For Belt Grinder/Sander

  1. #1

    Wheel For Belt Grinder/Sander

    Hello Again, I think I need some advice on how to cast this wheel.
    I dont think any kind of split pattern would work.

    As far as I can figure is a simple bedding, and the middle of the circumfrence would be the parting line and a core center.

    And maybe a little more draft from parting line to the outside edges..Not sure if I'm using the right lingo...

    Does this seem right?

    If I figured right, I should just be able to run a reamer through the center and insert the bearings.

    Thanks,
    C
    1-0309171050.jpg

    I made the middle a little thinner and squared up the hub a little since this pic.

  2. #2
    Moderator DavidF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wilmington DE
    Posts
    2,461
    Looks like a pretty thick cross section. You are going to need a way to keep feeding it metal as it cools. I did one similar years ago and put the shrink bob in the center of the hub and fed into the part from the outside edge.
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Looks like a pretty thick cross section. You are going to need a way to keep feeding it metal as it cools. I did one similar years ago and put the shrink bob in the center of the hub and fed into the part from the outside edge.

    Maybe I should make the center cross section a little thinner, I probably dont need it 5/8" thick, maybe 3/8" would be better, everything would then be closer to equal.

    Its 2" wide, 5.5" diameter, just to heavy I think..

    Whats your opinion?

    Thanks,
    C

  4. #4
    Moderator DavidF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wilmington DE
    Posts
    2,461
    5/8" isnt too bad... Looked thicker in the photo. You will still need a way to feed it other wise it will rob from that outer rim...
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    5/8" isnt too bad... Looked thicker in the photo. You will still need a way to feed it other wise it will rob from that outer rim...
    Thanks, I'll sketch it out and see what I can come up with, would rather spend a day thinking about it that starting all over..

    C

  6. #6
    Corky, nice pattern. What DavidF says, I tried to find one of my belt grinder wheels to verify, but I'm sure I fed the rim and put a large shrink in the center. Are you able to split the patttern? It would be so much easier to mold without the false cope bedding.
    If you think you can't do it, you're right!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sandcrab View Post
    Corky, nice pattern. What DavidF says, I tried to find one of my belt grinder wheels to verify, but I'm sure I fed the rim and put a large shrink in the center. Are you able to split the patttern? It would be so much easier to mold without the false cope bedding.
    Could you explain a little bit more the correct way, and I can split the pulley if I need to, I get confused on the many ways it could be done but not sure the best way.


    I think I got it figured out, I would split pulley along circumference with alignment pin.

    half in drag and half in cope..
    Last edited by corky; 03-10-2017 at 07:40 PM.

  8. #8
    Here is my pattern. I already started the machining on the wheel, but it looks like I fed as described. I start with the parting and then build up each way. I used particle board for these and ended with bondo fill where it tore on the lathe. I use brass screws with their heads cut off for dowel pins. This wheel is about 8" with the two 1/4 plys forming the web. The flange width is for a 2" sanding belt. Some of the steps are in my Belt Grinder thread.
    If I need to separate a pattern like yours I drill the dowel holes before I split it and then glue wood dowels after the parting surface is finished.


    If you think you can't do it, you're right!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Robert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, Nascarolina
    Posts
    2,960
    Plus one on Sandcrabs idea.
    R
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

    Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sandcrab View Post
    Here is my pattern. I already started the machining on the wheel, but it looks like I fed as described. I start with the parting and then build up each way. I used particle board for these and ended with bondo fill where it tore on the lathe. I use brass screws with their heads cut off for dowel pins. This wheel is about 8" with the two 1/4 plys forming the web. The flange width is for a 2" sanding belt. Some of the steps are in my Belt Grinder thread.
    If I need to separate a pattern like yours I drill the dowel holes before I split it and then glue wood dowels after the parting surface is finished.


    Thanks sandcrab, Now I Got It, everyday I'm learning new ways, new ideas, thanks to all you guys.

    I made a jig to cut my pulley in half on the table saw, then took up the saw kerf space by spraying some beer box cardboard (lots of beer boxes around here) with varnish, .050 on each pulley half, put some wax paper between the halfs and clamped together until dry this morning, trimmed cardboard and alittle, some sanding and it looks great.

    Oh, I did first drill alignment holes, used large finishing nails for pins and epoxied in.

    One good thing I have learned after looking at your wheel is to use separate pieces glued together to form patterns than try to do it out of one big chunk with make shift machines and tools.

    I could of saved a lot of time, but I'm getting it.

    Thank again and going to check out your thread..

    I'll post some pics when I find my phone,,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •