Thread: Drinking Mugs

Drinking Mugs

I have a customer that wants me to make him beer steins from 57MM shell casings, while I can do this easily( braze on a handle) he is looking for an insulation effect, I can make them perfectly safe to drink from by tinning the interior, but insulating has me stumped. any ideas

Thanks in advance

HT1

I'm thinking of a RTIC or YETI mug where you have a urethane foam liner between the outer shell (57mm casing) and an inner shell. With that said, I'm not sure how you'd do that in a way that would look good and make you a profit.
    "Success is 99% determination"

I can only imagine one would have to knock out the primer, drop in a straight-sided cup that wasn't quite as deep as the shell, and braze it at the mouth of the shell. Then one could fill with liquid foam through the primer hole, let it cure, and drive the primer back in.
    I seem to recall a two-part, pourable liquid foam available in the boat industry that was used for (relatively) blind ares for floatation fill.

Roger

Mugs from cartridge shells sound pretty cool. Instead of making the insulation a permanent feature how about just an insulated insert that is removeable and slides in and out of the mug? Like maybe a foam beer can coozy or thin wall foam pipe insulation with a hard liner…..a stainless cup/glass maybe? Or mold the foam insulation directly onto the inner liner?

This way you could have the best of both worlds; you could chill the brass mugs in the freezer or drink with the inserts if already cold.

Edit: Re-read your original post. 57mm isn't much to work with diameter. Wouldn't you want/need to start with a bigger casing?

Best,
    Kelly
    Last edited by kcoffield; 03-09-2017 at 10:50 PM.