Thread: Refractory: Ceramic wool, firebrick, or castable?

Refractory: Ceramic wool, firebrick, or castable?

Hi guys,
    I'm beginning to do the research end of a project to build a furnace capable of melting cast iron. My question is, what are the pro's and cons of the three general types? I've seen some people make furnaces of just Kaowool or the like, how long would this last?

Benjamin

Administrator Site Admin
    I've seen some people make furnaces of just Kaowool or the like, how long would this last?
    Not very long, melting cast iron. The highest temperature rating of any ceramic wool I have found is 2700 F. I use it to line my furnace lids. I melt bronze, and those wool lids need frequent repair.

One factor though, in favor of ceramic wool, is that when its temperature limits are exceeded it does not fail catastrophically as does a castable. Rather, it begins to singe and frizzle like burned hair.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Thanks for the continued help Richard. This forum is a great place!

I guess I'll rule out using only ceramic wool. How does firebrick compare to castable, in terms of longevity?

You could still use wool on the outside if you want to boost efficiency a little or reduce the close ambient heat in your work area. Check out indiscriminate scavenger's posts. He's the Ironman in my book and has much experience with iron furnace longevity. Also iron will really gunk up your furnace if you use it for other metals.
    People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.