Thread: Cast iron jack stands.

Cast iron jack stands.

The scrap yard has about 4-6 old cast iron jack stands. I was thinking of grabbing at least four of them for automotive repair use since they are very tall, taller than a 6 ton jack stand it seems or maybe close to the same size. What do you guys think?

They look similar to this one: 38-1.jpg

Jacks and jack stands I always buy new. Just a personal thing. I work alone for hours sometimes, and it could be a 11pm by the time the wife calls me to eat dinner before finding me stuck under a vehicle. Even then I always stuff extra stuff like wheels and another jack in the way, might just give the ability to wiggle my skinny ass outta trouble.

The jack in the photo looks like it has a pretty small foot print. The next house I build WILL have a high ceiling and a 4 post lift in it. I'm getting to old to be crawling around on my back.
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

I always make sure I have a back up safety tire as well but I also test push the vehicle side to side to see how rigid the setup is. The ones I saw were like 2 feet high and the footprint may not be as wide as a regular jack stand but there is more touching the ground then a jack stand that might count for something. Honestly I think they are pretty neat looking.

I used to have one of these jacks, they are handy but tip over easily.

Administrator Site Admin
    Those things were never intended to be used as jack stands. They are jacks. They were used for the same purposes as hydraulic bottle jacks are used today. A little more work to use, but unlike hydraulic jacks, they last forever. If I were to find any I would buy all I could get.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Yeah, Rasper gets it. The hole in the screw is sized so a crowbar fits in it and you walk around the jack pushing on the crowbar. this is how houses got lifted/moved in the old days. I've used little bitty tiny ones called planer jacks doing set-up on milling machines.
    If I could get them for a sensible price, I'd lug them home!
    What is that squeaking noise?