I thought I post a few pictures of my completed furnace. I didn't take any pictures of the build, so the pictures will only be of the completed build. I've used it for a few melts already, but haven't taken any pictures of the furnace in action, so the next time I melt, I'll make certain and take a few pictures of the furnace in action.
The shell is from an old water tank from a water well setup. It has the following refractory/lining:
1) 2" of ceramic blanket closest to the skin
2) 1" of of fire board
3) 2" of Cast O Lite 30 refractory
This combination is on the floor, walls and the lid.
The burner is a fuel oil burner (diesel, kerosene, etc.) from a salvaged hot water washer. I had to change the the burner nozzle from a 2.5 gal/hr to a 1.25 gal/hr nozzle because it was getting to hot. I will eventually put an electronic temperature controller in-line for temperature control.
I must say, this baby is a beast and will melt aluminum very quickly. I haven't tried cast iron yet, as I'm still just learning the 'ins and outs' of melting and pouring. So far all I've done is melt and cast into ingots, because I'm still in the learning phase of melting and pouring. I've just recently started making a couple of flasks and will purchase some green sand and/or oil-bonded sand so I can begin learning the art of casting. I'll probably just start out with some basic shapes to get the hang of casting.
The piece that you see on top of the furnace is for placing material above the furnace for pre-heating prior to placing in the crucible. Speaking of which, I don't have a proper clay-graphite crucible yet. Currently I'm using a piece of stainless steel pipe with a bottom welded on as my crucible. So far ,after about 5 melts, I haven't seen any signs of degradation to the crucible.
I'm new at this, so let me know what you think. I welcome constructive criticism as well.