Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Propane manifold

Blog Entries
    Propane here is about $1.50 / gallon so I am spoiled with the cheap cost. Dang, right now it is cheaper to run the propane furnace in the house than to buy firewood. We have 2, hundred gallon tanks that are free as long as we use the supplier for filling. If I remember right propane in a room temperature tank is about 170 psi, either that or the liquid is -170 F, can't remember. you might want to see if your welding supply house does bulk filling, since some folks use it in their cutting torches.
    kent
    Kent
    There is beauty, power and excitement in simple old technology!

Thanks for setting me straight HT. So the HD is REALLY screwing us. (my local gas shop was closed yesterday, so I just grabbed my ankles and took it up the tailpipe!)
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

HT1,

A hundred years ago, I lived in an old house that was heated by Dearborn Heaters in the winter time. I had a big silver 100 gallon tank on the side of the house and the gas company sent a truck around to refill it when I called them to come out. While the homeowner owned that tank, I know lots of other people who pay a deposit on them and rent them for a nominal fee once a year - like renting acetylene bottles from the welding supply place. Since you're trying to get a business going and use a lot of propane, perhaps you might price out what a large stationary tank would cost to own/rent and if you'd get a break on bulk delivery? There might be a higher initial investment here but it would at least spare you the agony of lugging BBQ bottles around. Now, I don't know if you live in town or in the county and what the regulations on having a large propane tank might be where you're at, but I at least wanted to toss out the suggestion for consideration.

Also, for some ideas on a propane manifold, check out page 3 of this thread in Mad Modder: Click Here:. The poster has a manifold type set up that you may find useful for your purposes.

Cheers!
    "Success is 99% determination"

Quote Originally Posted by _Jason View Post
    HT1,

A hundred years ago, I lived in an old house that was heated by Dearborn Heaters in the winter time. I had a big silver 100 gallon tank on the side of the house and the gas company sent a truck around to refill it when I called them to come out. While the homeowner owned that tank, I know lots of other people who pay a deposit on them and rent them for a nominal fee once a year - like renting acetylene bottles from the welding supply place. Since you're trying to get a business going and use a lot of propane, perhaps you might price out what a large stationary tank would cost to own/rent and if you'd get a break on bulk delivery? There might be a higher initial investment here but it would at least spare you the agony of lugging BBQ bottles around. Now, I don't know if you live in town or in the county and what the regulations on having a large propane tank might be where you're at, but I at least wanted to toss out the suggestion for consideration.

Also, for some ideas on a propane manifold, check out page 3 of this thread in Mad Modder: Click Here:. The poster has a manifold type set up that you may find useful for your purposes.

Cheers!
    I'll blow your mind, I have/Had 2, 100 Lbs for the house I had them removed because when I called in November to have them refilled... Well My bill goes like this $45/year for tank rental $25 delivery fee, and $5.47/ gallon for the propane. in short that was the MOST expensive option by far. I have priced a much cheaper company that just moved into town Right now I'm really considering buying 4, 40's two for work and two for the house and taking them in for refills
    V/r HT1

P.S. I picked up everything I needed yesterday save an addition POL fitting to do very much what he has on that site. I'll throw pics when I have it up

In our local Craigs List there's a fellow selling FULL 100 pounders for $150. I've been tempted to get one but where I would have to put it would be a task. That's a pretty good deal as a new empty is $130. I'll just keep humping the 20's and 30.
    Bones

What does a 100 # tank cost to refill?

The 20# are 20 bucks where I live.

Administrator Site Admin
    If Kent (Machinemaker) buys propane in PA for $1.50, there is something weird about paying 4 dollars plus for it elsewhere. A man could make a good living by buying a tank truck and hiring a guy to drive it back and forth from PA to Florida.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Zapins,
    A 100 lb tank holds almost 23 gallons, so whatever rate you get is the cost.
    Bones

Quote Originally Posted by Rasper View Post
    If Kent (Machinemaker) buys propane in PA for $1.50, there is something weird about paying 4 dollars plus for it elsewhere. A man could make a good living by buying a tank truck and hiring a guy to drive it back and forth from PA to Florida.

Richard
    there is something really suspicious going on I can source Propane in the same location from 2.74- 5.74 / gallon... someone is ripping someone off. hell I went to the welding supply and they straight up told me their price blew ass and I should look around they only did 100 Lbs swap and rental or froklift tank exchange, no filling no exchange at all

V/r HT1

If it makes you feel better... I've seen jet fuel vary from (sit down now) $8.09 a gallon at Palm Beach and as low as $2.35 I paid the other day in Texas. Now fly to one of these places and take on 350gallons. OUCH! We now spend $600 bucks a year for a new corporate fuel discount program. Paid for itself the first fuel stop! I get so ticked off at the whole man in the desert with the beer for sale theory.
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --