Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Propane manifold

Propane manifold

Are any of you using a propane manifold, I really need to stop tank freeze, and tub of water is dangerous and annoying, as is filling a couple of tanks every time you pour... I really want to manifold two 40's together, any suggestions on the best way???

Thanks in advance

V/r HT1

This tee and pigtail set up is $25.00 from Zoeller forge.com

If you're able to scavenge a POL fitting from an old BBQ regulator, it would be pretty easy make up something similar from fitting available at any good hardware store.

Quote Originally Posted by rocco View Post
    This tee and pigtail set up is $25.00 from Zoeller forge.com

If you're able to scavenge a POL fitting from an old BBQ regulator, it would be pretty easy make up something similar from fitting available at any good hardware store.
    I can do what they have done easy enough, my concern is what if I hit of kick one of the tanks???

OH and Compression or flare fittings ????

V/r HT1

I'm with you on that, I don't particularly like the rigid connection between the two tank, maybe use a hose like THIS instead. Put a brass tee and nipple between the POL fitting and regulator of your current set-up and add the hose for the second tank, strap the two tanks together with bungees and kick away. And should you want to, reverting back to a single tank would simply be a matter of replacing the hose with a 1/4" npt plug
    POL pigtail.jpg

OH and regarding flare vs compression fittings, I've had a couple of frightening experiences involving compression fittings and combustible fluids so, I vote flared fittings.

what pressure rating of hose will I need for unregulated Propane??? and I know it has to be a fuel hose propane is nasty on the wrong type of hose

Administrator Site Admin
    Instead of messing around with those barbecue tanks, why not have your local bottled gas company deliver two large bottles (the ones about 4 feet tall) to your place and set the account up so that you call when one tank is empty and they come and exchange it? I had that when I ran a boatyard in Virginia. There I paid a deposit on the tanks when I opened the account. Down here in Mexico it's about the same set-up, except that I bought the tanks.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Blog Entries
    We use propane for our water heater and used to haul 100 pound bottles to the local hardware store, that I thought was the cheapest, but we found a local bulk supplier like Rasper suggested, they were even cheaper than if I hauled them and they deliver. Good luck.
    kent
    Kent
    There is beauty, power and excitement in simple old technology!

on my titling furnace which will burn about 4 gallons per hour of propane i even had to put the 100 lb tanks in a water bath. to keep them from freezing, you could also get a water bed heater or 2 and wrap them around the bottom of the tank they will help but depending on how much fuel you are burning they may not be enough the water heater blankets are about 300Watt which only vaporize about 6 lbs per hour of propane. the pressure at 100F will be about 175psi. You could use an Rv manifold that has the hoses that go to each tank. a 40 lb tank without heat can only feed about 100kbtuh or 1 gallon per hour, one water bed heater would a little more then double that .

Just some things to think about.

Art B

Quote Originally Posted by HT1 View Post
    what pressure rating of hose will I need for unregulated Propane??? and I know it has to be a fuel hose propane is nasty on the wrong type of hose
    I don't know but the pressure relief on a standard 20lb tank is set at something like 250psi. In any event the hose in my last picture is for use in an RV and is specifically designed for unregulated propane.

I guess in Florida the local shops wouldn’t see much demand for tank warmers.
    https://www.amazon.com/Powerblanket-.../dp/B00PKKHC2Y
    Stupid expensive but if I want to BBQ past October . . . . . .