Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Crucible tools thread

The time has come and I have GOT to once again cobble some stuff together. Why spend too much time on this I figure. This is just an A6. (should have bought a #10)
    Zap will recognize this design. lol I did the mother of all cock ups on this. I was on the home stretch and welded the %$#$#^ locking frame on BASSACKWARDS. So much for my pretty tig job. I sliced it off and reattached it in 10minutes. Now to finish up the lifting tool. Gotta stick some handles on it. I have to say, having the convenience of a light and go gas forge makes life soooo much easier when bending 1/2" square stock. Plus it makes my neighbors afraid of me! They already think I'm nuts.

pouringtool.jpg

liftingtool.jpg
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Haha yes I did the exact same thing!! Welded the pin in the wrong way around. Had to break it off and reweld it.

Your welding job is a tad better than mine though haha.

Here is mine.

Nice crucible tools... Jagboy, it looks like your lifting tongs extend down past the bottom of your crucible - is that going to get in the way when you're setting it down in the pouring shank?

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    Plus it makes my neighbors afraid of me! They already think I'm nuts.
    lol, welcome to the club, my neighbors all think Im crazy, but the thing is, you dont get the neighbors coming over and nagging at you to fix something that common sense would fix, lol. They know that if Im doing an experiment, just to stay inside and keep the fire department on speed dial, lol. But then again, Im not that bad usually, Ive only given half of the town flashburn once, lol. Hey, it was only temporary blindness, I dont know what they were complaining about...

Quote Originally Posted by Tobho Mott View Post
    Nice crucible tools... Jagboy, it looks like your lifting tongs extend down past the bottom of your crucible - is that going to get in the way when you're setting it down in the pouring shank?

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff for pointing that out. I hadn't given that any thought actually. Today, I am going to try to finish the lifting tool and will keep that in mind.
    -- Donald Trump --

Good stuff today. Got the lifting tool finished. I opted for the straight up and out of the heat method potentially exposing the family jewels to intense heat. I REALLY should have bought a bigger crucible. Live and learn. This little A6 will work for this melt and I learned a few things along the way so all is not lost.

My handles are offset and that chaps my butt. But I do know how to not have that happen on the next set I build. In the last photo, I added a bolt that allows me to adjust how far they close and squeeze the crucible. The main pivoting bolt is no longer a nut and bolt that can come loose. I set a little bit of preload on it and then melted the stainless nut to the bolt. If it needs to come apart, out comes the angle grinder. For those of you without a TIG welder, sell some plasma, rob a bank, become a giggilo... Just do whatever it takes, this thing is vital to the kind of crap we screw with. If I had the extra scratch, I'd get another as a SPARE!

Yes Jeff, I shortened the very bottom ends as you pointed out. Good EYE! Wanna come watch me pour the bronze so I don't do something dumb?

Tong1.jpg

tong2.jpg

tong3.jpg
    -- Donald Trump --

Glad that helped... And yeah, obviously I'd love to drop by and witness a bronze pour (it'll be the jewelry box, right?). But sadly my travel budget is hovering just below zero right now.

Good luck with it, looking forward to the pix. Try not to do anything dumb!

Jeff
    Last edited by Tobho Mott; 03-09-2017 at 02:14 PM.
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos