Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheres the electricians??????

Nah.. no pid... no switch... nada nothing. I'll stick a pyrometer in it and thats it. I'm thinking, preheat it up around 1500, Hit the shells with a HF weed burner on a grate over a bucket of water and slap them into the kiln. With any luck, I wont crack... After the burnout is complete and they cool back down, I wonder if pouring water inside for a leak check and flush is a good idea? I saw Barry today on youtube taking out his frustrations on his kiln rack with a big sledge. Looks like he's got a plan now that will work.

The Pid controllers are easy to install. We stuck one the kiln at the jewelry shop in Florida. That one is programmable to run goofy burnout schedules when burning out resin from the B9C. Works a champ.
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Jag,
    You could add the proper receptacle in a box beside the 4 hole for the welder(may or may not be code... depends on area)... it's just a one or the other kind of deal. Or make a short 4 hole plug to 3 hole receptacle cable. To save the nice plug end on the welder. (look at the home despot for an RV adapter you may find one premade).

Good idea crazybob. I have all the parts for a shorty cord using some real nice flexible #8 wire. My welder thanks you!
    -- Donald Trump --

Got my TGGT wire in today. She's wired up with all new stuff. Still waiting on new elements from China, but I decided to fire it up anyway with the 3 of the 4 old ones working.
    One MAJOR issue is this thing reeks of CAT PISS! WOW, the smell that came outta this old kiln burned my NOSE. My cheapo pyrometer stuffed in the glory hole or whatever it's called in pottery land showed 1150F. I pulled the plug. Couldn't handle the smell anymore. The good news is no fancy firework show from the control box and all the wires I touched were nice and cool. Let's see what happens when all 4 elements are cooking cat piss. God I hope this smell goes away.

oh btw, I created a 4 foot cord that that takes me from 4 plug to a 3 holer to save from dyking my welder. That makes me happy. I owe ya one crazy bob!

Wiring.jpg

Kiln Alive.jpg

Kilnelement.jpg
    -- Donald Trump --

Thanks for sharing. I learn a good thing from here.

Your welcome Miguel. Welcome to the nut house btw!

One interesting thing happened to me with this thing. I drilled a carbon gouging rod and stuck a type k thermocouple in it rigged to an extra meter. The carbon rod didnt survive the long high temps after a few hours left stuck inside the kiln. One side of the carbon rod disintegrated and cooked my thermocouple. I need to install something better and still cheap to measure the temps. Not that this really matters at the end of the day, but it would be nice to know where it's at.
    -- Donald Trump --

jagboy,

With it just being in the kiln, but not in contact with molten metal, I would guess the stainless covered type of thermocouple would hold up ok. (something like This or Like This
    but that's just a guess based on what I've seen used on the automated kiln/tempering ovens.
    The Carbon is going to burn in contact with oxygen at high temps. It works well in the crucible because there isn't a lot of oxygen and it's not there very long. The molten metal dissolves the metal jacket more then melts it. the Carbon rod is there to keep that from happening.

Good Luck,
    CBB

Perfect. $5.17 and free shipping. DONE! You are the man! How they can make AND ship that thing for 5bucks blows my mind. The chinese are good for somethings some days.
    -- Donald Trump --

Got my T-couple in today. Super nice quality for the money. I snipped off the ends and installed a conventional type K plug from the last one I cooked. Works like a CHAMP! Thanks guys. I'll mount it in one of the peek-a-boo holes on the side of the kiln. Problem solved. 5buck meter and 5buck probe. No excuse for ANYONE to not know how hot something is. Btw, wire with the red goes on the positive if someone is wondering. ;-)
    10bucksetup.jpg
    -- Donald Trump --