Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ceramic shell burn out kiln blues.

The box??? soon I hope. Got some work to do first.
    But tonight, I heated up the test shell and poured Aluminum in it. My old steel crucible is nasty and has had everything under the sun melted in it. YUK. However, the test piece still came out with AMAZING detail compared to the original wax. Ceramic shell is impressive and I'm looking forward to pouring bronze. I found a few little snags, like my kiln needs a hinge and I'll need to work the sand tray. Here's the photos. To wrap this thread up.
    This pretty much proves the slow hot water dip IS a viable option for dewaxing with no adverse affects to the shell. That I am mildly proud of. :-)

Aluminumshell.jpg

Brokeshell.jpg
    Last edited by jagboy69; 02-21-2017 at 05:28 AM.
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

That's a nice casting. Congrats on the first ceramic shell mold of many!

Interesting about the water burnout. Makes a lot of sense and you probably save nearly 100% of the wax.

I think you'd save more wax during the burnout if you angled the flame so it didn't touch the dripping wax or the bottom of the cone. Great fireworks though! Too bad you didn't melt any rubber wheels (like I accidentally did ).

Nice pour jason. It looks faultless. From the pics it seems like all the corners have filled prefectly, no trapped air at all.

John

Thanks Art. Not too shabby for a half assed test piece. I had ZERO vents... Hilarious. Now if only I can be this lucky pouring bronze. Hopefully very soon. I'll probably run a video of that one.
    -- Donald Trump --

I'd imagine that bronze would fill better because it is heavier and would have more pressure to force out the air with.

Hello,

I'd like to try some small ceramic shell castings during spring/summer (once I'd been able to source all components from Switzerland).
    My main concern is the dewax (actually de-plast as I'll try to use the lost PLA / lost resin technique) and shell firing part.

Would it be possible to dewax/deplast and fire the shell with just a gas burner directed at the shell ? Or is it too hard/dangerous/...
    After seeing the video from jagboy69 I'm wondering.

You saw how I did it. I had 6 layers of ceramic shell. Keep in mind, I had WAX hollow pouring cups and the main sprue was also hollow. I hit that sucker hard and fast from the bottom. Not hard or dangerous really. Wear a hat! It is hot, but can be done in jeans and a leather coat. I just own the gear so why not wear it and be comfortable.

I think David here is the lost PLA/ABS guru and he might have better ideas for "dewax" procedures using ceramic shell on that stuff. My method is probably not even required. If that stuff doesnt expand, why not just stick the entire thing in a kiln and come back in 4hrs? At 1700degrees, it should vanish without the drama.
    Welcome... got any photos? Ya might want to start your own thread on what you are doing for continuity. We were helping Barry in this one and I took us a bit sideways. In the end, it's all learning.
    :-)
    Jason
    -- Donald Trump --

Blog Entries
    Nice work Jagboy!
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    http://fournaisedupiton.blogspot.com/