Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Help needed to cast human skeleton out of aluminum

Boelube is the stuff to use for cutting wheels, grinders, stones and burrs...

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/61232534
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

+1 on BoeLube!!! Love this stuff! Picked up on a whim a few years ago, man what a difference it made on my saws and works great for drills.... Guess I need to try it out on my burrs never thought of that.

Hey everyone! I thought it was time for some pictures of what I've done so far.

Ribs #1-12 are casted and #1-2 are cleaned up and set up on the stand.

Ribs #3-12
    IMG_3755.JPG

Rib Stand #1-2
    IMG_3759.JPG

Vertebrae #24-20 are casted and #24 is partially cleaned up so you can see the comparison between a really rough one and a cleaned up one.

Cleaned up #24
    IMG_3763.JPG

Rough #22
    IMG_3765.JPG

Vertebrae Album

Left radius and ulna / Right radius and ulna are casted but not cleaned up.

Forearms
    IMG_3768.JPG

I still have a ton to do but I have two weeks straight of nothing but casting. I cleaned my garage today and am gathering the last few supplies for the casting marathon. I think I will have the entire skeleton done by the end of the two weeks but the statue probably won't be ready until a bit later.

HUGE shout out to Mr. Mentzer at Lancaster Foundry Supplies for cutting up an aluminum ingot so I could fit the portions in my crucible. He went out of his way to get it cut up for me which saves me 20+ hours of work (cutting the ingot once with a hacksaw takes 3-4 hours.) Thank you!

Super excited to get the rest of this done. The next project is going to be working on a permanent stand to model the entire thing but we'll worry about that after the skeleton is complete.

Wow man, everything is really going well. I'm very impressed with the detail you are getting and the number of bones you have already. Can't wait to see the rest of it.

I'm interested to see what you think of the polishing part of it?

Ah, So that's what an ulna looks like.
    You're making great progress Menth! Are you planning on boring spinal cord holes in the vertibae? It might be worth the effort to make a core box since the holes appear to be close in shape and size. It would add a bit more complication in the casting but would save a lot more work in finishing. Just something to consider.
    I have to say I never thought you'd come this far. Keep up the good work!

Pete

Looking good!!
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

I thought it was pretty ambitious for a first casting project too, but you're making great progress at an amazing rate and the castings look really nice - keep it up!

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
    Wow man, everything is really going well. I'm very impressed with the detail you are getting and the number of bones you have already. Can't wait to see the rest of it.

I'm interested to see what you think of the polishing part of it?
    I am thinking about buying a polishing wheel attachment for the dremel and the lubricant suggested earlier. Does that sound like it will work to get a nice polish? I will get some up close photos of the final pieces to see how well the "dremeled" areas blend in.

Quote Originally Posted by Petee716
    Ah, So that's what an ulna looks like.
    You're making great progress Menth! Are you planning on boring spinal cord holes in the vertibae? It might be worth the effort to make a core box since the holes appear to be close in shape and size. It would add a bit more complication in the casting but would save a lot more work in finishing. Just something to consider.
    I have to say I never thought you'd come this far. Keep up the good work!

Pete
    Trying to move pretty fast and crank parts out but I think I am going to slow down to make sure the skull turns out nicely and the hands are done perfectly. I was thinking about being lazy and doing the carpels as one cast to make the project faster but whats the fun in that? I have the whole summer so I'll make it good.

I am planning on drilling holes in the vertebrae with a drill press. I would be worth it to make cores but I am 14 vertebra in so maybe I will play around with cores for another project.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobho Mott
    I thought it was pretty ambitious for a first casting project too, but you're making great progress at an amazing rate and the castings look really nice - keep it up!

Jeff
    Although I am having a lot of success, I am learning to respect the time and effort that casting takes and am going to slow down the speed of my casting to get the last pieces perfect since the majority of the pieces have come out and are looking good.

I have completed 39/55 in which nine of the remaining ones are vertebra which each take 15-20 minutes to crank out. Pieces may have to be redone but I am mostly happy with the rough casts and believe I can work them into something suitable.

Anyway, sorry it's been a while. I've been casting a lot but haven't put any time into carving and polishing almost any of the pieces. Here is a photo dump of what I've completed since I was last here; http://imgur.com/a/cpfSR.

I need to redo the jaw tomorrow so hopefully it will come out this time and I will post it here. Thank you for all your support! Critiques and advice are always welcome!

I completed the jaw, tailbone and the last thoracic vertebra since my last post but failed the shoulder blade so now I have only 7 vertebra and a redo of the shoulder blade(s). I added more pictures to the rough bones gallery; http://imgur.com/a/cpfSR. I'll start cleaning up the vertebra and making an album for them.

I really liked how the jaw turned out and I think it will look really nice after I dremel off the excess.

IMG_3806 (1).jpg

This was the first attempt. Not only was it a failed casting, I learned why not to use baby powder with aloe..

IMG_3805 (1).jpg

Comparison

IMG_3804.jpg

I swear I will get this shoulder blade eventually. Even the one that came out is pretty ugly. It's hard to orientate it to remove the processes (ridges that stick out of it but I will keep trying.

Does my solution for polishing sound decent? Polishing wheel for a dremel and boelube linked? Thank you!

Man, you have really come a long way. Getting such good castings in such a short period of time really shows a lot of hard work. I know how many hours it takes to get to that level. Very well done. I bet your school is pooping their pants right about now wondering how they actually got a student to learn something new on their own.

The ridges that stick out are called "flashing" btw. No idea why.

Shoulder blades are very thin and therefore difficult to cast properly. I look forwards to seeing your final version.

Polishing, no don't use the dremel. Get a 6" cotton stitched polishing wheel for a bench grinder and use that. You'll go through thousands of dremel felt wheels trying to polish the whole thing. Or maybe 1-2 cotton wheels.

So now that you've mastered biology, what's next on your casting agenda???