Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Cheap little red blower guts and internals

But it's the cutest thing on the market.... Hilarious how they made it look like its bigger cousins. It's loud, but it sure blows like a 3 dollar hooker at a truck stop!
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Blog Entries
    So that's the price in Texas!
    kent
    Kent
    There is beauty, power and excitement in simple old technology!

Quote Originally Posted by den View Post
    Just need to get that heat-sink cast up for a router speed control, so it won't smoke should the blower run hard for a while.
    Hrmmm, that doesn't smell right. I've got another flavor of chinese crap, fan/router speed control and it doesn't get very warm at all.

AvE posted a vid a while back about one that ran hot, checked on the o-scope and found it spat out a REALLY crusty half-wave (instead of a chopped up full-wave).

Might check the inwards and check the datasheets on the part-numbers. Be double-sure Xheech-and-Xong aren't pullin' a fast-one on ya. Though it's entirely possible I'm just paranoid
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

The people who were noting these controllers getting 'too warm' were running them ***hard*** - as in long-period near-maximum wattage, i.e. hours of 1100+ watts into heating elements. (The heat-sink shown was a sizable one...)

http://www.instructables.com/id/Harb...d-Control-Mod/

The 'small red screecher' pulls about half of that, but I'd worry a lot less with the heat-sink (and a spare of both screech *and* controller, in case the main one quits while a pot of ***iron*** is 'under blast')

- - - Updated - - -

Have the heat sink pattern done, also.

Numb question: how hard is it to use, uh, google drive for pictures? It seems a few people been doing so...
    Last edited by den; 08-02-2017 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Show picture of what was meant
    Ouch! That stuff's hot!

Click the picture frame with the tree in it on top of the text box here, then my computer and basic uploader then browse. Select the file and hit upload, it will embed in your post. Easy.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    -- Donald Trump --

Let's try this...

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't work - of course...
    Ouch! That stuff's hot!

Heat sink pattern

Didn't work - of course...

It would seem that trying to do this the 'easy way' - the way that works for ***most*** people - is impossible for me. I must be stupid or something... Common enough - can't do social stuff at all, so this is likely to be the same way...
    Ouch! That stuff's hot!

try photo bucket I guess. Ya might need someone to show you how to link a photo to here. Try youtube. I bet someone has made a photobucket How to video.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    -- Donald Trump --

Quote Originally Posted by den View Post
    pot of ***iron*** is 'under blast'
    Eek! I wouldn't use this blower for that (or at least have a few spares on hand). That ABS plastic will turn straight into bubblegum at the smallest sight of molten iron radiation. It's Tg is 213*f but it will start getting soft well before that.

IMHO, this l'il red screecher is for ppl w/ $20 to their name, need a blower NOW, and there are no better options on craigs-list. It'll do the job, It's a fine solution for small-time hobby use, but I question it's long-term reliability under extended use.

I don't use it, but I'd recommend photobucket as well. They survived both dot-bombs, don't cost much, and many people here use them with success. There are a few posts in some of the sticky-threads about properly linking photos/videos. I don't trust Google wouldn't alter their URLs at some random point. If anything like that changes (ever), all your linked pics go *poof* (from the forum's perspective).

SpiderOak's backup file-sharing works as well, and is even cheaper, but the setup is a bit trickier. If you don't already use them for backups, getting it going may be harder.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Hence said blower wants a few feet of pipe handy to keep it several feet distant from the furnace. (Exhaust tubing - it welds decently)
    2nd, I have a *limited* fixed income, which is *not* readily increased - which means finding better needs more or less either ***making*** better (which I've attempted in the past) or saving multiple months. (I would get ***burned*** on Craigslist or similar, due to being 'terminally socially inept'. It's happened before...) Oh, and then there's a pyrometer, several pots (the blower's for someone else's furnace; I've got mine to build, also) tools, new glasses, medical...
    Ouch! That stuff's hot!